Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are the laws on "Corporal Punishment !"

My ex~husbands and his girlfriend had my children this past summer, and well my middle son who has ADHD and who I currently removed from medicines due to his having migraines, has a hard time controlling himself GOD love him ! Well my ex~husbands girlfriend decided that she had enough of his


Asked by SASSIE224 at 12:53 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • Culprit Punishment...?

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

  • Not being mean, but it's corporal punishment. And it really depends on the state they live in. In certain states it would be a hands down case of abuse. But in others, not so much. I know in GA, AL and some of the other southern states using a paddle or switch is not considered abuse. At least not last time I checked, considering the schools still use paddles. You should really call a lawyer as soon as possible to get this fixed. Your kids do not need to be with someone who would do that to them.

    Answer by Petie at 12:58 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

  • Using a switch is not corporal punishment. It is a much better way of spanking than using your hand (which can cause back problems and other serious problems). Your son cried out in pain because it hurt. That's the point. I bet he hasn't done "it" again either. I understand that you are pissed, and have every right to be because it was not his mom or dad, but really... YOU chose to take your kid off meds and then have someone else take care of him? What did you expect her to do, coddle him? I had my son on meds too, but when I took him off, I found other ways of helping his behavior. You wouldn't even know it was the same kid now. But everyone he is around knows the rules to keep him that way. You are expecting too much if you want other people to put up with your out of control child. And just to let you know, I do not spank my kids either, but I understand why people do. I would be pissed if someone did that to my kids.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

  • all i can say is what i would do......hunt the girlfriend down and hit her with a switch ;)

    Answer by Malorhee at 2:17 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

  • In many states by law you are required to report anything you think might be abuse. Report it and it will have to be investigated.

    It's too bad girlfriends are allowed to care for children with the father not there. In some states you have the right of first refusal. When the father is going to leave the children in someone else's care first he has to allow you to care for them. You can't be paid. So if he worked you could care for them while he was at work.


    Answer by Gailll at 3:05 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

  • um yes she can get into trouble! she is not your sons parent so she has no right at all to touch your son and as for the person who said they still use paddles in schools down south, where the heck is that? I would love to see someone other than myself or my fiance spank my children! They will lose a hand!

    Answer by lovelyli217 at 3:08 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

  • In most states PARENTS are allowed to spank open handed on a child's behind. You should call CPS and report her. She has no right to put her hands on your child! That is assault on a minor.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:23 AM on Sep. 25, 2009