breastfeeding and bottlefeeding...advice on mixing both

i have decided to do both and was wondering if i should mix both of them together? i pump my milk..
thanks for the advice..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You can, but it doesn't make a difference, unless you are just looking to increase the amount in one bottle. Are you pumping enough milk for a full feeding? Or is that why you want to mix formula with it?
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:33 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• It can be a good idea if the baby won't drink the formula. Otherwise, it's better not to. Feed the breastmilk first, then if he wants more, give him some formula. Otherwise if he doesn't finish the bottle, you have wasted breastmilk. To me, that's a way bigger deal than wasted formula.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:41 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I don't think wasting breast milk is worse than wasting formula. It isn't great fun to pump or anything but its not a big deal if they don't drink it all. You can put it in the fridge for up to 5 days. I breast and bottle fed my first and she was fine. This is my second (almost a month old now =D) and we have been breast and bottle feeding. Both of them I fed them with bottles made up of half breast milk half formula. I did that the first feeding at night so they sleep longer for the first part of the night. Then when they woke up I breastfed. This time around I pump for bottles so my first can help feed my baby. Good Luck. =D
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 1:56 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Wasting breastmilk is much worse than wasting formula. You want your baby to get all the breastmilk he can. If you buy it from a milk bank it is $30 an ounce!

You want to feed the breastmilk first then formula. Remember babies drinking from bottles can't regulate their intake like babies can when they breastfeed. You must give them only the amount per feeding they should have for their weight and age. There are charts that tell you how much to feed.

There are so many overweight babies because mothers don't know they are supposed to only feed a certain amount. If a baby is only supposed to get 3 ounces and you let them have 8 ounces then they will have problems from overfeeding. They could have colic, reflux, and gain rapidly.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:35 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Books, formula companies, and some breastpump instructions make combining human milk feeding and formula feeding by bottle sound easier than it is. Pumping is much, much, much harder than breastfeeding. It is easy to skip a pumping and have your supply go down. To maintain a really good supply you should pump in the middle of the night.

I breastfed 3 chrildren. I had to pump while I was hospitalized one time and while one of my children was hospitalized. I hated pumping. I was good at it, I just hated it. I can't imagine doing it for 6 months or a year or longer. Pumps can also hurt more than nursing.

I encourage you to try to go back to breastfeeding. Almost all breastfeeding problems can be resolved.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:43 AM on Sep. 25, 2009