Got two questions.. no bashing plz

39 weeks pregnant...

first question: I know this may sound a bit retarted but I am curious.. Is it possible to have a kidney infection and not really know it? And if this is possible can it cause vomiting with no fever and bad headaches??

My second question is: What does it mean when you have a trace of protein in your urine specimen?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

Cameolynn

Asked by Cameolynn at 1:55 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• the protien i think is a sign of pre eclampsya i had some but i had a uti and if u have a kidney infection i am sure u would know it but then again everyone is different. i had a uti after i had my son and it went into my kidneys and i def knew it i had a temp of 101 and had the chills it was horriable.
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 2:01 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• yes it is possible to have a kidney infection and not know it...well it happened in my case! two months after having my daughter i really wasn't taking care of myself properly and started having chills also, and my temp was through the roof...this went on for three days. i thought maybe it was the flu...fourth day i started vomiting and had a terrible fever and had lower back pain REALLY bad...I called my ob/gyn and they had me come in that day to check my blood...after about an hour of getting blood work and a urine sample they admitted me to the hospital because what started as a kidney infection was about to turn septic...long story short, i was hospitalized for a week and they crammed fluids in me through a IV...
    Malorhee

Answer by Malorhee at 2:09 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• A uti is a bladder infection and is common. Kidney infections are much worse than a bladder infection. A kidney infection has pain and fever not vomiting. Your urine would have blood, bacteria, and other things in it.

Protein is a sign of preeclampsia. Since you had a trace your health care provider should be checking it again soon along with your blood pressure.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:10 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• sounds to me like preeclampsia. Are your feet swollen? Do you feel light headed and thirsty all the time or like your heart is beating too fast?
    If you answer yes, call your Dr. These things all happened to me and it turned out that I had mild preeclampsia and my son was sitting in there with NO fluid. Luckily they got him out safe.
    As for a non stress test to measure your fluid levels.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:41 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I had traces of protein in my urine at 38 weeks but also had high blood pressure (not crazy high, like 140/90) and my dr. told me I was trying to get preeclampsia. They ended up inducing and taking the baby. Everything worked out ok. As far as kidney infection, everyone is different but in most cases, there will be high fever, bad back aches, and I had vomitting as well. But if your just having vomitting with no fever, you may be having prelabor symptoms. I know a lot of moms that got sick just before they went into labor. To put your mind at ease, call your dr. Good Luck and God Bless.
    BethanyB930

Answer by BethanyB930 at 4:51 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• preclampsia could be coming do to protein in ur urine an i had a kidney infection when i was pregnant with my son u would know trust me

effect

pain
    hot one minute spike a real high fever over 100.1
    an then u turn wicked cold

i got that with my sons pregnancy around 35 weeks

my daughter nuthn

an now im pregnant with number 3 so nuthn yet its a boy due feb 22nd
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 9:06 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Protein can leak into the urine if the kidney is not functioning properly. Your doctor will follow up.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:33 AM on Sep. 25, 2009