Who uses cloth diapers?

I am interested in starting my dd on cloth diapers now that she is a bit older and was wondering if anyone here does it, what I will need to start, and any tips to make it easier. Thanks!

dbodani

Asked by dbodani at 1:59 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.cafemom.com/group/34752

Join this group here on Cafemom. I just started CD'ing three months ago with baby #3.

There are lots of choices out there and it can be a bit overwhelming. Plus it's like you have to learn a new lingo....but overall it's actually "Fun" and I really enjoy CD'ing.

Some brands to google are :

Bum Genius ( fool proof diaper for beginners that lasts is one size)
    Thirsties ( excellent covers)

Also there are prefolds ( the old school diapers), fitteds ( cotton diapers in fun prints) etc...

Sorry the baby is crying...but you get the idea. Just check out that board for more help. That is how I got started.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 2:16 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I wanted to cd when she was younger and got the prefolds and some thirsties and bummi's covers but never ended up using them and now they are too small. She is 8 months now and I don't know how much of each I need. Any ideas?
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 2:20 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• There is tons of information all over about the different styles of diapers. I use prefolds on my son and the ones he has outgrown I use as fillers to help absorb wetness during the night.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 2:59 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I like pocket one size diapers. I have bumgenius, but I think that fuzzy bunz are better. I don't like the velcor, and prefer the snaps... the velcro wears and my son can take off his diapers if they are velcro. I started using cloth when he was really young... like 2 months and still use the same one size diapers at 14 months, I believe they go up to 30 lbs.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:06 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Congrats on taking the first step towards cloth diapering. Sounds corny, but it's such a fun and rewarding experience! 

Prefolds and covers are a great way to get started on using cloth. I suggest you use them at first, and then look at pockets, AIO's etc after you've been CD'ing for a couple of months.

The best value for money I found online were the Real Nappies bundled packs on their website. They have packs for each stage of baby's development as well as a complete birth to potty pack (which I noticed has $100 off at the moment).  I've been using them for 6 months now and love them!

Good luck!

mynaturalbaby

Answer by mynaturalbaby at 2:10 PM on Feb. 28, 2010