Breastfeeding moms - what do you eat?

What do you eat in a typical day and do you think you get the extra 300-500 calories that we're supposed to? Just wonderin' about other moms diets!

MollieDoll

Asked by MollieDoll at 2:15 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't have to eat an extra 300-500 calories. By not eating the extra calories it help you return to your prepregnancy weight sooner, one of the benefits of breastfeeding. It's good to eat a diet with nutrient dense foods but not mandatory.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:21 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I just eat as I always have, admittedly, I tend to eat more often or bigger portions, not on purpose, but just seem hungerier, when I am nursing.
    Imamom4sure

Answer by Imamom4sure at 2:45 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I just eat more often. I always have fruits, veggies, or nuts to snack on in between meals. My meals are just the same portions as before. The only thing added is the apple or banana or carrot I sneak in every once in a while. My water intake has zoomed up dramatically though. I think that is just expected. haha My rule is I eat when I am hungry. I don't over eat. I don't under eat. Just sustain myself enough to be satisfied and so far my son is too.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 2:57 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• i'm vegan and breastfeeding, here's a sample of what i eat on a daily basis:
    Oatmeal and/or cereal for breakfast with soymilk
    I snack on wheatthin type veggie crackers all day
    Peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread for lunch (usually two)
    Apple juice
    Big glass of soy or almond milk with nesquik (yes nesquik is vegan and has lots of calcium)
    and EmergenC every morning to keep up my immune system and get vitamins b6 and b12
    dinner is usually a pasta dish with lots of sauce and veggies and bread or an asian dish with brown rice veggies and vegan "meat"
    i eat fruit bars for dessert or a treat
    and i drink mother's milk tea two times a day and drink water constantly throughout the day
    i also take 6 610mg fenugreek herbs pills to keep up my supply
    Kimra

Answer by Kimra at 3:13 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I eat anything I want, usually about six times a day, and snack if I get hungry. Drink water till my eyes float away;). I try to get something after I have just nursed or pumped to replace what I lose. I should say, I am underweight and cannot skip any meals; most of the other bf women I know just eat healthy whenever and how much they want.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:29 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I am Vegan and I eat regular foods I guess. I used to be vegitarian but DS was sensitive to dairy so I had to cut it out my diet. I make meals like chili, brown rice and veggie stir-fry, etc. I also continue to take my prenatals. I make sure im snacking all day and drinking lots of water.
    Panya81

Answer by Panya81 at 4:41 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Eat to your hunger, drink to your thirst. I ate whatever I wanted.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:50 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• You are supposed to get those extra calories so your milk will continue to come, if you dont eat them then it will slow down(trust me I know from experience). I had to give up spicy food cause it bugged her. If your baby has any kind of colic then give up spicy, dairy and caffeine. Thats what I was told by my doctor. Hope that helps :)
    anvilchick83

Answer by anvilchick83 at 12:34 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I pretty much eat whatever i want, in the beginning i was super nervous about like caffiene or things that could make her "gassy" but shes never had any bad reaction to my diet. =D
    loves_her_baby

Answer by loves_her_baby at 12:59 AM on Sep. 26, 2009