I know of a religious couple breeding like nuts

I know of a religious couple who already have six kids, and are still not on any type of birthcontrol, and is ready to accept a 7th, 8th, 9th child, and so on. And yes, they are on public assistance. Question- from a religious prospective, do you believe that it is God's will for a couple to continuously having children while on public assistance? Do you believe that this is a true function of a warrior of God? If so, how do you believe that this is going to convince a modern non-Christian to convert? The father is a reverend.

IMO, as the bible says, God cannot change a man from his own will (free will). So extra fetal conceptions (of single pregnancies and not including abortion of course) is beyond God's will. So in affect the reverend is contradicting his own mission since it is not conducive to have babies irresponsibly.

What is your opinion of this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, I don't think the problem lies with the religion or the philosophy, really. The problem is with the govt.

Believing your God wants you to have lots of kids.... and having faith in that God to provide for those kids is fine. However, as long as the govt is giving handouts hand over fist... even if their God DID create opportunities for the family to provide for their own.... would they even see it? Would they even notice it if it came around? Would they take a risk & give up the "sure thing" to benefit from what their God tries to provide for them?

Not likely.

It's our tax money those on PA are living off of, so I think that WE should set better guidelines for it. I'm all for helping someone when they're down - hell, it happens to us all at some time or another - but those that take advantage need to be cut off.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:15 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• as a non christian, I find it irresponsible and hypocrytical as this man is probably voting Republican.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• As a christian I find it irresponsable to have so many children. Have no more then you can afford, and not just financially but emotionally as well. Also God does speak of TEMPERANCE! We have safe and effective means nowdays of birthcontrol, but agian this choice and life is between them and God. I really hope all of this works out for them God bless!
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 2:35 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• It seems like you know a lot of personal stuff about this family. I think you should mind your own business.

Some people on cm make such a big deal about 'public assistance.' What could they get - food stamps and WIC? Those are both programs that help farmers.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:55 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• i don't believe this so much to be a religious issue as it is a responsibility issue. most religions may not find this a desirable way of life. i don't think religion has anything to do with it. many ppl (not all) use religion as a way to excuse a way of life that may be shunned by others just to find a way to justify it. it's wrong any way you slice it. having kids that you cannot provide for just to spawn them is wrong becuz it is not only foolish is it unsafe. how can a couple be able to give to all those children all they need when it takes so much to even properly care for one or two? it's just plain irresponsible and stupid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• as far as I know, foodstamps and WIC are not for farmers. they're intended for those who need assistance, temporary assistance. that comment is just plain silly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I think its irresponsible. Dont have kids if you cant afford it. Sheesh.
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 3:03 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• OP here,

This question is not about merely being on public assistance (not shaming recipients in any manner), but of principle of philosophy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• If it is christian philosophy one is taught to love one anothe and not judge. Lots of judging the reverend and what he does in the bedroom.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 3:14 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Op here again

religious philosophy in religious perspective coming from a non-christian,
    as in devil's advocate. I will judge in order of method of questioning, to be proven wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 AM on Sep. 25, 2009