4yo had first accident since potty training...

My DD has been potty trained since shortly after 2y.o. She is now 4 and in her second year of Pre-K. She had her first "accident" in school. When I asked her what happened she explained she was simply too busy playing to make it to the bathroom in time. This is her first accident EVER! Any advice on how I can make sure this doesn't become a habit?

lynda_dora

Asked by lynda_dora at 2:45 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just reassure her it was an accident but she needs to pay a bit more attention to when she need to go to the restroom and that the toys or whatever she is playing with will be there when she gets back.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 6:12 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I agree with the first answer, accidents happen when kids are preoccupied, just make sure to let her know that she needs to pay attention more
    Domzmom2005

Answer by Domzmom2005 at 8:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My daughter has been potty trained since a little while after her 2nd birthday; and she is 3 now and had her first accident last week while playing at her father's house. She told me she was playing and holding it.

I think some kids grow out of this once they get better at task managing and realize that whatever they were doing can wait until after the potty. But, just make sure you talk to her about it without making her feel bad and just more or less inform her that she can still play even if she takes a quick break to use the potty.

Just make sure you do address the situation. My aunt's friend had trouble with her two children peeing and pooing themselves until they were about 9-10 years old because she never addressed the problem earlier; she ended up having to take them to a therapist.
    zeroblivion

Answer by zeroblivion at 10:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Thanks for all of the great advice!
    lynda_dora

Answer by lynda_dora at 4:08 AM on Sep. 26, 2009