ok this is seriously dumb, but

What happens to the child slaves in third world countries If we all stop buying their products?

I asked a nutella question earlier, to be silly, and a mom told me that nutella is made from child slave chocolate.
Ugh. Now I have guilt.

So what If everyone stops buying this stuff? Will the child slaves not get fed anymore? Do they get freedom from a life of hard labor only to starve to death and die of exposure?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 3:33 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I had this conversation with my cousin, who has traveled to India numerous times. Cut out child labor, and the child either starves or gets sold into prostitution. There is no easy solution.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:00 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Actually, I think it's a good question. If they're not getting paid, even if it's an extremely small amount, what will happen to them and their families? I don't know either. The whole thing is VERY sad cycle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• what is Nutella?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I do not think it is a dumb question either..very sad situation and a great question.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:22 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• It's part of life and happens in America. Just one example is the fact that we just took the jobs away from thousands of people when the government took over the auto companies. I don't think they felt guilt. did you?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:23 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Anon,
    Nutella is a spread made with hazelbuys, cocoa and milk. It's yummy, and can be used as a filling in baked goods.

Steph, I wouldn't say I felt guilty, more like outrage.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:36 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I think I'm going to feel good about buying my cheap chocolate and feeding that kid his bowl of rice until someone gives me an actual solution.

If it's pick freakin. Cocoa beans or get raped twenty times a day, I'm gonna support the bean picking.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:10 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I agree, lovinangels.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:29 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• No guilt about the nuts....worry about where your sneakers came from.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Sep. 25, 2009