how can i get my baby to sleep later in the morning?

I put my 4 month old son to bed around 7:30-8 at night and he's been waking up around 5 or 5:30 a.m. i try just putting the pacifier in his mouth or letting him talk to himself when he wakes up, but when he gets really hungry he starts crying and then i feed him (usually around 5:45). what can i do to help him sleep longer in the morning?
p.s. i give him a night feed at 11 p.m.

becky52309

Asked by becky52309 at 5:42 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can't MAKE a baby sleep when they aren't ready to sleep.

When he wakes up, feed him. Geez..he's only 4 months old!

He's already sleeping about 9 hours straight!!! Don't complain!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:47 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Try feeding his as soon as he wakes up that what worked with my son, if he had something to eat as soon as he was waking up he's fall back asleep and sleep for another hours or so
    Anonymous

• You are getting a really good stretch of sleep out of a 4 month old baby. There are things you can do to adjust how much of his sleeping time is useful to you though. I would suggest if you aren't going to sleep until after 11, when you give him a night time feeding, then you should try to keep him up later. That way his long stretch of sleep can be your long stretch of sleep. Right now you should still be sleeping when baby sleeps as much as poss. If you have things you must do at that time of night...you can try to keep him engaged so that he goes to sleep when you do...you may find it won't work though. I can only offer support other than that bit of advice. I have also found that my son sleeps longer at night when he has been in his sling during the day. At first I thought he would never sleep at night...because he seemed to sleep so much of the day away...but I soon realized that he would sleep at night well too.
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 5:57 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• put him to bed later. you can't have it both ways. You can't put your baby to bed early and expect them to sleep later, because you stay up late. Either you put your baby to bed early or you go to bed around the same time.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 6:40 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I agree my daughter didnt go to bed til 1030 or 11 when she was that young shes now 8 months and goes to bed around 930. so you have to decide get up early or put him to bed later
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 6:44 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I'd try to put him down later - 7:30 to 8:00 is a little early. He's waking up on time for getting that much sleep.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:16 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My daughter goes to bed at 8pm every night and wakes up at 5am EVERY morning and the latest she's ever slept is 6. She's been sleeping through the night since she was about 6 weeks (then it was 10pm-5am). What I do though, is when she wakes up at 5 I feed her then put her in her swing and she'll sleep until at least 7:30-45 so I get a LITTLE extra sleep, not much, but it helps. She's 6.5 mos now.
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 11:06 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• haha.. my son was ALWAYS an early riser, he will be 2 in nov and he still wakes at 5am and his bedtime is 8pm so he's only getting 9 hours of sleep...ugh.. so tired
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Unfortunately, you may be stuck with an early riser. Mine has an internal alarm that gets him up at six no matter when he goes to bed. And that's an improvement...the internal alarm used to go off at four or five.

You are getting an incredibly long stretch out of your little one.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:47 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• my dd gets up at 830 every morning. she gets a bottle around 9pm and goes to bed around 10 or so. she fusses sometimes so we have to get up to give her her pacifier. lately shes been up at 5 am so i lay her with me and shes not up til 830 after that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Sep. 25, 2009