What can I feed my dog?

Our dog was just DX'ed with Congestive Heart Failure. She is no longer allowed to eat dog food, so I have to cook for her. I have been making rice, lean ground beef, and boiling boneless, skinless, chicken breast. All at the suggestion of the vet. What else can I give her? She is on a low sodium diet.

thanks!

tracy0812

Asked by tracy0812 at 7:51 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Pets

• They make a dog food for dogs with CHF...We Rxd it a lot when owners wanted something else for their pets(I was a tech for 7yrs). The brand was Royal Canine, its not avaliable everywhere but most rx food lines will have a low sodium/CHF type of food.

Try ground turkey, some dogs like that mixed in with the ground beef.
    Check with your Dr. about sweet potatos some of the drs I worked with would allow them.
    Hmm, low sodium is a difficult one---good luck you your little fur baby, hope she improves!
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 8:06 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• good luck TO you AND your little fur baby...sheesh---only 8am and already I cant type.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 8:07 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Have you checked into the BARF diet? I had to put my Mastiff on it for a while, and it worked great for him. You dog may slim down some from the diet, but once you get the combination and portions right you'll see a much healthier dog.   The second link is about different foods and their value for animals.

http://www.barfworld.com/html/barf_diet/barfdiet_specific.shtml

http://www.2ndchance.info/homemadediets.htm

PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:09 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I would look into the Barf diet. I think they do make a kibble for Congestive heart failure. Though i have known many dogs with this that ate normal kibble and did fine. YOu have to look at each individual animal. Some will make the switch just fine and others will refuse and only eat what they are used to. When that is the case then keeping them from starving is definantly the better option.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:13 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• green beans
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:27 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Homemade Dog Food Recipes - Sep 23

May 4, 2007 ... A collection of free recipes for homemade dog and cat foods including healthful pet food tips.
    www.gourmetsleuth.com/dogfoodrecipes.htm -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:07 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Homemade Pet Food - Allrecipes

Homemade Pet Food. By: Allrecipes Staff ... In general, dog food should comprise 1/3 protein from meat, eggs or dairy products, 2/3 grains and vegetables. ...
    allrecipes.com/HowTo/Homemade-Pet-Food/Detail.aspx
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:08 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Homemade Dog Food Recipes: Homemade Dog Food

Welcome to Homemade Dog Food. I started this site because as a dog owner myself I was unable to find good quality homemade dog food recipes on the internet. ...
    www.homemadedogfood.net/
    vbruno

• I make dog stew all the time. Here is how to make it an easy everyday part of life:

Keep a 1 gallon freezer bag for all your veggie scraps: carrot peels, apple peels, dropped fruit pieces, sweet potato peels, kale ribs, broccoli stalks, asparagus bottoms, etc -- you'll slowly fill it up through the week. No garlic, no onions, no grapes nor raisins.

When the bag is full, dump it in a big stock pot with 2 cups of grain: rice, barley, oat, quinoa, amaranth, etc

Fill it up with water, drop in a beef or ham bone

add 1 lb of lean meat: chicken, turkey, beef, fish, etc

cover and cook through. Remove the bone. Store in 1 serving size containers. I save sour cream containers, draw an X over them with a sharpie marker, and store dog food in the fridge or freezer. sour cream comes ins 8 or 16 oz sizes. My dogs are big so an 8 oz serving to them is like i'm neglecting them! Date the containers!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:39 AM on Sep. 25, 2009