do you live or work around people with MRSA???

im kind of freaking out. i work in a long term care facility and last night a patient came back from being in the hospital. we were so happy to see each other that we hugged and held hands. it was only afterwards that i learned she was in contact isolation and i should have been wearing a gown, mask, double gloves, etc...then later in the night right before i left she needed to use the bathroom and i had to go in there without a mask or gown because there werent any more nearby and it was an emergency that she use the toilet. she needs assistance getting in/out of bed and onto the toilet. well, she has MRSA in her lungs and sputum. i am 28 and healthy and rarely get sick even tho i work around germs. i washed my hands and arms several times but i am afraid i may have breathed in some of her germs. what do you think the chances are that i will become infected?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Health

• My mom had MRSA. I don't know how long it's contagious for but none of us caught it. Not that I know much about it mind you.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:40 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• If she were still contagious I dont think she would have come back to your facility.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:01 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My daughter has it and from what I understand we are pretty much all carriers of MRSA (most definately those who have come in contact with it) but it usually only affects those with compromised immune systems. I think anyway. lol I'm not a Dr. My daughter gets the infections because she has excema and since her sin is more fragile than normal skin it allows the MRSA in. My mom also got it but she tends to overwork herself to the point of being sick and therefore has a weaker immune system. So basically, from what I gather, its pretty much everywhere just like reagular Staph (which can cause infections too) but requires a much stronger treatment than regular staph. If you get a zit like sore on an unusual place on your body you may want to have it checked out but otherwise you should be fine. Oprah just covered it with Dr. Oz so you might check her website for the video. It was pretty cool.
    Rowdyblues

Answer by Rowdyblues at 11:23 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• me and my husband work at a prison (well im on bedrest so i havent been there in a while) but a lot of the inmates have MRSA and scabies and other nasty things. well when i had a appt with my midwife (while i was still working) i told her i was concerned about me catching MRSA and being pregnant and she said good hand hygiene is the way not to get it. she said a lot of people have it, even nurses and doctors, but as long as you keep your hands clean and keep your clothing or your area clean you should be safe....i have disenfectient spray just for MRSA that i spray all over my husbands things when he comes home and put his clothes in the washer immediately and showers.
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 11:39 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• "If she were still contagious I dont think she would have come back to your facility. "
    quoting vbruno

thats not the case. we have a lot of people who are infected with different things. skin mrsa, TB, as well as minor things like cold and flu. the woman i am referring to wasnt even in the hospital specifically for her mrsa, she was in there for cancer treatments.
    emilsmama

Answer by emilsmama at 1:36 PM on Sep. 25, 2009