Why do you feel that a midwife or doula (sp) is better than an ob?

So recently, I have read a lot of replies in certain posts that end with, "oh you just need to find a midwife because they are better..." Why is that?

I ask because I have no experience with them, but I personally love my dr! He is my personal doctor as well as my ob doctor, and he really isn't a by the book doctor, which I love, and its all about what is truly best and what a mother wants! He tries to make pregnancy, labor, and delivery, everything a mother wants it to be.

So why do you feel a midwife or doula is better? Im simply curious

livingrlovesong

Asked by livingrlovesong at 9:12 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think a lot of people really don't understand the role of a midwife and generalize all midwives and all doctors. Yes, there are some awful doctors, but there are also some wonderful ones. Some midwives are great, some aren't. I was very happy with both my high risk ob and my regular ob (both men) and if I hadn't been able to deliver with my midwife, I would have been comfortable delivering with one of them. Not all doctors are knife happy drug pushers, and midwives do more than just wait and catch. Both are trained to handle common complications. Some midwives deliver babies at home and some deliver in hospitals. My midwife only delivered in hospitals, for insurance reasons.

There are definitely pros and cons to using either. If you're happy with your doctor, stick with your doctor. If you're happy with your midwife, stick with your midwife.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:19 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• i think that a lot of OBs are great! but the thing about OB is that they are trained to do surgery and to see problems. so they aren't great at normal pregnancy, which is not a "problem" and usually does not require surgery. they have a really hard time just letting things happen slowly, which is often what needs to be done with birth. also they are super busy and often don't have enough time. i had a midwife and she was really good. but the OB in the same practice i saw a couple of times seems to be good too. :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:16 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I can't stand my doctor and am looking into finding another one, but I loved my first OBGYN when my first daughter was born, we moved or we'd go back to him. A midwife I guess can be more personal and into you as an individual and give you more time.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 9:16 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Midwives and doulas are two completely different things. Midwives assist with the birth of the child, doulas assist the mother during labor to make childbirth more comfortable and bearable. I opted to go with a midwife for my first child for a couple of reasons. My OB wouldn't see me until the start of my second trimester and when she did finally see me, the appointment was 5 mintues long and she would not address any of my questions. As a first time mom, you can imagine how frustrating that would be. I always knew that I wanted a natural childbirth and it was clear to me, after that first appointment, that my OB would not be supportive of my wishes. I found a midwife that I got on well with and we had a beautiful, natural homebirth for the birth of my first. My appointments were an hour long each time. I managed my own care, checking my own stats and what not, and never felt like I was not in charge of my pregnancy.
    ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 9:18 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• there are a few good books on the subject like "Birth: A history...", and "pushed", have some good info. there is another by barbara ehrenreich (spelling?) that i have not read yet...

most countries have midwives doing it just because of the fact that OBs are best at surgery and high risk stuff. women with normal pregnancies see midwives (and in many countries have their babies at home)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:19 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My midwife made suggestions on ways that pregnancy could be more enjoyable, ways to help my baby move into a good position for birth, things I could do to help get my body ready for the big show, and helped me prepare, mentally and physically, for the birth of my baby. Midwives assist the mother during pregnancy and childbirth but the mother is really the one who is doing all of the work. There are different types of midwives too, and nurse-midwives tend to be more medically minded than a direct entry midwife or a certified professional midwife.

ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 9:20 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• its just a personal choice the reason i went to a midwife the first time is b/c the practice i went to had so many doctors that i one didnt want a doc i didnt know to deliver me and 2 most were men and i wanted a woman. they had 3 midwives and were all very sweet. i have never had an ob always went to a midwife but i love my doc and she is very attentive and listens to me. midwives cant do c sections though and generally dont deal with high risk pregnancies some women like the comfort of knowing if something goes wrong the doc they have built a relationship with will be there to help them through it. if ur low risk i would highly recommend a midwife.
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 9:21 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I would personally rather have an OB over anything. I'm pregnant with my 2nd and Im using the same Dr I used with my first and love her. I would be afraid something might happen during labor and I would rather have a Dr there bc they are more experoenced.
    I think a person should go with whom ever they feel more comfortable with.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 9:32 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• oh i wanted to add that because OBs are trained surgeons, their c-section rates are (obviously) much higher. usually midwive's patients have less than 10% c-section rates, whereas, OBs are more like 30-40%! like i said, they are trained to see problems and not to let things happen so some of them are very intervention heavy, which can get in the way of normal birth :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:34 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• to be fair OBs have some high risk patients so their section rates would be higher because of that but even among women who are equal on all factors going into birth, section rates for OBs are much much higher than for midwives.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:35 AM on Sep. 25, 2009