•Children who get spanked have lower IQs, study finds

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20090925/hl_hsn/spankingmaylowerkidsiqs

Okay ladies what do we think of this? If you are a spanker, would this deter you from spanking your children? If you are not, what are your general thoughts on this study?

Personally, I do not spank my daughter. It is not that I judge those that do, but for me, in our house it is not necessary to get my point across. I am a very soft spoken person so all I have to do is raise my voice and Hannah knows that she is ticking me off. Then she straightens up. I found this study interesting because everyone in my family feels that I will ruin Hannah if I do not spank her. While I feel that spanking has never deterred bad behavior for anyone, I mean if it did then a child would only get one spanking in their life. Just my opinion though. Once again, I am not bashing anyone who does, I just cant do it and don't send a need to.

BriHan06

Asked by BriHan06 at 9:39 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't go by what a study is, I was spanked as a child, and have a high IQ, so does my husband. My children are smart children as well.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 9:42 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• 3rd day- That is what I was thinking as well. I was spanked as a child and have a very high IQ. Now, I chose not to use that with my own daughter, but that was just my personal preference not because I was worried about her IQ. :)
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 9:47 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• haha i posted about this on current events too. Check it out, got some interesting answers.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:50 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• TWO POINTS!! That's it. There was a AVERAGE drop of TWO points. Bull. That is not a significant drop. I want to read the study....not a stupid article.

Not only that, if you've had your children evaluated, the psychologist will tell you that because the tests are different for different age groups, one canNOT compare the two.

My son was evaluated at age 3 and had an overall IQ of 127. He was re-evaluated at age 5 and it is now 130. His psychologist wants him re-evaluated at age 6 because it's a different test at that age, and this would be the IQ which could be considered what he would have as an adult. (in those two years his verbal IQ went from 127 to 136 btw)

Not buying it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I prefer time out with my daughter more so, but not against spanking her if needed.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 10:16 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My husband and I were in different corners at first, I don't think that spanking does anything but make my kids act up even more. He was determined to try it and prove me wrong, I didn't let it. I find that a time out works much better the way that super nanny does it,
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 10:31 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My dad beat the crap out of me with a belt and I have a very high IQ. I don't spank for my own reasons. Time out works great for us.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:57 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• LMAO OF MY GOD WHOEVER BELIEVES THIS IS A FREAKING IDIOT!! I WAS BEAT AS A CHILD BEAT NOT SPANK AND AM NOT STUPID AM VERY SMART!! I SPANK MY DD WHEN NEEDED SHE IS 21/2 AND PEOPLE ARE AMAZED HOW SMART SHE IS. EVEN THE DOCTOR TELLS ME I SHOULD CONSIDER PUTTING HER IN A GIFTED SCHOOL CUZ SHEIS ADVANCED FOR HER AGE. SO YEAH SPANKING MAKES KID STUPID MMI WONDER MY FRIEND DOESNT SPAMK HER KID AND HIS A TERROR SAME AGE AS MY DD AND DOESNT T KNOW ANYTHING!! EVEN MY FRIEND TELLS ME SHE WISHES HER SON WAS ADVANCED LIKE MY DD
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:55 PM on Sep. 25, 2009