Infants and Cross Country Flights..My version of Hell?

My overbearing SIL is putting the SQUEEEZE on my Hubby for us to fly to California for Thanksgiving (we live in Georgia) Our baby will be 6 months old by then. Do you gals think I am crazy for NOT wanting to fly almost 5 hours during THE most traveled holiday with a 6 month old?? I do not think that it is fair to the baby, to me or to the other 150 or so passengers on the plane!
Any advice as to how to gracefully decline this "invite"? I told my husband that he could go alone and his suggestion was to get earphones for the baby! TIA!

chefronswife

Asked by chefronswife at 9:57 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't blame you I'd be uncomfortable doing that with a baby too! What if there was like a 4 hour delay you know, I'd let her know how much you appreciate the invite and yould love for you and the family to visit her in cali for the holidays, but you have a baby and aren't comfortable with flying cross country with him/her, and that it would be very busy in the year and not easy on you and your family, but can try in the future.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 10:05 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• It isn't hell but it is hard. My husband and I did that when our oldest was 6 months old. It is so hard on the baby. Their schedule is screwed up, they have such a hard time adjusting to the time difference, and if flights are delayed you are stuck in an airport with a cranky baby. And take off and landing can be hell on the baby. It was for my oldest. Planes are not for babies. When we went the plane was full of them and most were worst than my son but they were all cranky because most had to be on 2 planes in one day and change 2-3 timezones. Babies are not ready for something like that.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:26 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• OP** Isn't it true that babies that young cannot properly clear their ears from the pressure which will cause them great discomfort?
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 10:36 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• They can pop their ears, that's why you nurse or give a binky on take off and landing. Landing is most important. I've never done a 5 hour flight, but I've done multiple 3 hour flights and 1 hour flights. With long(3-4 hours) times between flights. It's really not that bad. I bring toys, and she usually sleeps the entire flight, then we get food, walk around(well, I walk she gets carried) and we get on our next plane. I do it by myself without a stroller(no husband, and strollers make things harder IMO). Get a sling or a wrap, and just pop the kiddo in that and go.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:13 AM on Sep. 25, 2009