When did you start your infant on baby food?

My DD is now almost 5 months old. Last month, I started giving her rice cereal in her bottle. I still breastfeed her, but it just doesn't satisfy her for long enough. Her great appetite made me curious to see if she'd like baby food yet. (I consulted a pediatrician first, and got the go-ahead.)
She LOVES it! For the last 3 weeks, she's been gobbling up sweet peas, carrots, peaches, green beans, bananas, and squash!
When did you start your infant on baby food? What were his/her favs? My DD like sweet peas best, for sure!
Some people have been giving me hell and telling me it's to soon, but my baby is so happy and I'm so proud of her rapid development! (she already says mama and dada, when she sees us, and rolls over often, and rocks on all fours!!!)
I guess this post is just to celebrate and share.

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 10:35 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I tried giving my daughter rice cereal at about 4 mos at the doctor's suggestion but she just wasn't ready for it so I waited until about 5 mos to really get into the foods and stuff. Now she eats squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, pears, apples, bananas, and we're about to start on the stage two stuff today:-) I gotta try peas again too. Last time I gave them too her she gagged (a few weeks ago). She's 6.5 mos now.

Oh, and I called the manufacturer for Beech Nut because I wasn't too sure about one of the ingredients in their food and they are sending me coupons! Just thought that you might like to know:-)
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 10:51 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I think you can start them on baby food as long as they are able to sit up is what my DR told me, usually around 5 to 6 months I know on the wic they start giveing you the baby food when they are 6 months so I dont think at 5 months it is really a big difference. I want to start my son on cereal but he is 2 months old and it just seems like he isnt getting full enough he eats 8oz every 3 hours he is a hungry baby but I havent tried yet,
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 10:38 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• We waited to start on our son on baby food til 6 months. The reason? He needed to be tested for celiac disease first, and we didn't want to take any chances giving him food that might make him sick. After we gave him the celiac test, it came back negative and we started him on solids. He LOVES bananas and sweet potatoes. He will eat anything else stage 2, but his least faves ( he gets distracted and looks away ) seem to be peas and green beans. Big surprise lol
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 10:42 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My first DD was 3 1/2 months but she was clearly ready. This DD is almost 5 months and still has absolutely zero interest in food. Every baby is different but I think the average is between 4 and 6 months.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 10:49 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• We started at 4 months, but cereal in a bowl.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:59 AM on Sep. 25, 2009