Explain why a family would disown a person over divorce?

Her 'duty' is helping Muslim women heal after abuse

I understand religions reason, but really disowning your own child and saying she would be dead if this was another country? How could one do that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Honestly, I can't imagine doing that, so I can't explain or justify it.

I understand that this is how they believe, but I think it's sad that parents can do this. I can't imagine disowning my kids for any reason. No matter how unhappy their actions or choices might make me, they are still my child, and I still love them.

Now, if they were doing something destructive, like, say, a drug addiction, then that doesn't mean that I wouldn't use some "tough love" and, for example, not continue to give them money that I know they're going to use for drugs, but I wouldn't disown them.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:54 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• It's a religious thing. Sadly, it happens. But more power to a woman who can go against her family and do what she knows is right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• 40 years ago divorce was a big freaking deal here in the US. 25 yrs ago~ not so much!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I don't know what you are referring to, can you post a link to the story? : ( sorry.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:40 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• When people are isolated and exposed to only one set of beliefs, intolerance grows easily.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 3:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Religous ignorance and misogyny. She should be relieved to be rid of that kind of so-called "family"!!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2009