parents of an A's student VS a parents of an F's student

Do you think that the parents of an A's student is the better parents than the F's student.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oh good grief
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Well, being an F student, I would have to say absolutely. I had no support from my parents in my school endeavors (or really anything) and it showed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I was an F student. My sister was an A student. We both had the same parents. EXPLAIN THAT TO ME?! lol

I have a 3.7 now(college), but it took me a while to get here.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:21 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• No I think some kids just learn differently from other kids it is nothing to do with the parent, I made C and Ds all through high school and my mom never punished me or anything she just said I wont pay for summer school so if you want to grauduate you better try harder or we can get you a tutuor. My DD makes all As right now but she is in Pre-K and if she failed Pre-k I would feel like a failure bc I am the one who taught her number and colors and basic things, I would feel like I didnt do a good enough job.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 11:21 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• No, I have 2 girls that are A students and I really don't have to do anything for them. I also have a son and it takes him hours sometimes to do the simplest things for homework, and no matter how hard we try to help, encourage etc, he is not an A student...he;s not F's either.

Now if the parent does nothing for their child, yes they are bad parents.. Some kids are not strong in academic no matter how hard the child/parent try.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:24 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I have a dear friend that is a principal at the local high school. He has been teaching for 20 years. He is convinced that they are born either A students or not. I was a B student at best and my brother was all A's so I dont think parenting has anything to do with it.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 11:29 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My instincts say "yes". But I know it's more complicated than that.

I had great parents. They were very involved with me and with my schooling. I had mostly A's in school and a few B's. I was a member of National Honor Society and got a full ride academic scholarship to college.

But I don't know how much of my success in school is due to ME or due to my parents. I am an auditory learner, and that's how most teachers teach.

I know that my husband didn't do well in school and he is very smart, probably smarter than I am. He definitely thinks "outside the box" often, and his teachers didn't like that. At some point he stopped caring. His parents tried, but I think they didn't know how to make him care about school when it was constantly being thrown in his face that his thinking was wrong.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:31 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• So I think if a child is doing poorly in school that it CAN be bad parenting. But I also think that there could be hundreds of other reasons that have nothing to do with parenting.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:33 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I was a C, D and F student until my junior year of high school. My sister was an honor student. Our parents were very interested in our education so I can't blame them. I had problems understanding the lessons, some of my teachers were less than concerned (some actually said they didn't care if we passed or failed, they got paid either way and didn't believe in tutoring or anything like that), our classes were overcrowded, and we had out of date textbooks in some classes. There are way too many factors. It can't just be lumped together.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:35 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• What an ignorant question.

I have a child w/ADHD and she gets grades alll over the charts! She could make stright a's but it's hard to pay attention for her.
    If someone is allowing their kids to getd's and f's then they are not very interested in their kids future. When I see my kid getting c's I know there is a struggle and I jump right in there and start calling the school to find out whats up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Sep. 25, 2009