Problems with the pediatrician...

So my baby had her well check the other day the doctor made me so mad! My daughter is breastfed, eats 2-3 solid food meals a day and nurses 4-5 times a day but is still in the 25 percentile for weight, right where she was at the last well check. This doctor acted like I never feed her and that it was my fault she was skinny! I also had questions about formula, since I'd never used it before, and she acted like I was the worst parent in the world for getting some of my info from the internet. She interrupted all of my questions and didn't even answer most of them She jumped down my throat about being skeptical about the flu shot that I didn't really want to give my daughter. I told her that my grandparents had gotten sick from it and she said that wasn't true and I need to 'educate them'.I am so glad that she's not my baby's regular doctor but she's in the same practice. Anyone else had problems like this w/their Ped?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter has always been in the 25% percentile, she went to the doctor yesterday for her one year check up, my doctor said she'd not too big and not too small. She weighed 6lbs and 8oz at birth. Your daughter is just petite, there's nothing wrong with her, sounds like she eats just fine. I'd look into finding another peditrician. I think my daughter gets her petiteness from my mom.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 11:23 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I like her regular ped but she was on maternity leave so I had to see this one:-( My daughter was 7, 11 when she was born.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I've never got the flu shot and don't plan on it for my kids either, your body will become dependent and you can still get the flu.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 11:25 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I'd make sure the practice noted that I did not want to see that physician in the future. So what if she's skinny? If she's not losing weight, I don't see what the problem is. Is she healthy? Do you believe there is a problem? I doubt formula is needed (but I don't know the whole story) and flu shots are not life or death! I'd be pissed.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Oh, the formula was to put in her rice cereal since I'm having trouble pumping breastmilk and she won't take it with water. I just used some white grape juice instead because my normal pediatrician said that I could. :-)

-OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• the doctor is probably using a formula feeding growth chart which means NOTHING for a BF baby. Look at the WHO growth chart for a BF baby and print and take it in next time. My little man in only in the 5th percentile for a FF chart but is chubby and happy
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 11:32 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• As long as she continues to grow at a steady rate she is fine. I agree with MummyOf2ooo cheack out a breastfed baby growth chart.

I would not tolerate a Dr. treating me like that I would be looking for a new Dr. who respected my beliefs and listened to my questions without treating me like crap.

I
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 11:57 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I would not tolerate a Dr. treating me like that I would be looking for a new Dr. who respected my beliefs and listened to my questions without treating me like crap.

ITA! Remember, the doctor is essentially your employee. It IS their job to advise, but NOT to treat you like crap.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:46 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• my baby is on the smaller side and i HAD TO CHANGE DOCTORS. our pedi was DRIVING ME CRAZY, i almost punched her. (not really but i felt like doing it) she kept telling me that i needed to exclusively pump and that i needed to supplement which both things would have just DECREASED my supply. so i contacted a LLL leader and asked her what doc she recommends. i found a great pedi who is VERY PRO BREASTFEEDING, he even has pictures of women breastfeeding hanging up around his office. he said my baby is small but since he is still growing at a steady rate that everything is perfectly fine and to just keep nursing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• yeah to the bf chart- my daughter actually made a u-turn on the ff chart! at our last appt mine was 17 1/2, the dr said she's still on her curve, doing good, keep it up, and said absolutely nothing about flu shots. i will be calling to find out whether she actually needs them since i plan on getting them- i work with the general public and my husband has a compromised immune system. i have read that the immunity you get can pass to the baby without the risk.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:16 PM on Sep. 25, 2009