May be a stupid question, but...

Is it really bad to smoke cigs while breastfeeding? I was a smoker before i got preg & as soon as I found out I quit, but at the end was so stressed I started smokin 1-2 per day (cigs, not packs). My baby was born at a healthy weight & has no problems, & as of now, the most I smoke per day is 5, but does everything in the cigs transfer to my breastmilk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's better for a smoker to breastfeed then to formula feed, although of course it's best not to smoke at all.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I would only smoke up to 3 times a day, I quit for a month after daughter was born, but couldn't stay quit. She is very healthy, advanced for her age and it didn't bother her in anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• no its not
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I smoke the same amount and breastfeed. My girl is perfect.
    Prepare for some 'OMG U R ABUZIN UR KID' replies though
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 12:01 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• "Scientists have found that nicotine spreads throughout your body when you smoke, and has also been found in breast milk. This means that you are feeding your baby this harmful chemical if you use nicotine during the time that you are breast feeding.
    Cigarette smoking may reduce the amount of milk your body makes. The fat content of your milk may also be reduced. Both of these side effects of smoking may cause your baby to gain weight too slowly."

Answer by missanc at 12:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• missanc is right. If you do a little research you'll see that the nicotine does in fact get into breastmilk, however it's a small amount and is usually gone after 1-2 hours.
    If you feel like you must smoke then have one right after feeding her so that it has time to clear out before her next feeding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Sep. 25, 2009