Do Coaches Deserve Respect?

Our highschool varsity football coach retired last yr after 20 years, and my husband who is a bit younger, 31, took over the job. So far it has been a nightmare. The players have acted like brats, they do not listen to anything he says, they skip practice and basically just goof off the entire practice anyway, and just ignore him and are downright rude, even calling him bad names.
Last Friday he caught 6 players at the away game drinking alcohol in Mountain dew bottles durning the half time. He has suspended all these players, and they may be kicked off the team after further review. Because of this he has recieved so much flank from the parents saying he is being unfair, and that kids will be kids.
I don't know about nowadays, but when I was in pom pom we always respected our coach, and would never dream of acting like these players.
Jut wondering if coaches are not valued anymore, is it even worth coaching now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yeah they do, they teach the kids a lot, and some kids do better at sports than school work sooo they better enjoy being able to be on the team! He needs to stay strong be tough and the kids will learn they can't get over on him just b/c he's new.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 12:00 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Yes, my brother is a coach (a young coach) and he gets respect. I think those kids are acting out and need to be whipped into shape. Tell your hubby to hang in there they will come around and if they don't, there are plenty of people who want to play, there is a surplus of players. If he makes it be known that stupidity and disrespect will not be tolerated no matter how good of a player they are, they will abide by the rules.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Of course they should be respected (assuming they deserve it, as most do)... I really feel for teachers, coaches, etc. these days because of the parents. Sure, kids will be kids, but they need consequences for their actions, too many parents these days turn a blind eye and blame the schools, etc... its total BS.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Yes cocaches deserve respect. My friend is a coach and he said the kids who disrespect him, don't play, end of story. He saw the crap his coach (now the head coach he works with) get put through bullshit from kids. He said it's nuts how parents allow their athletes to behave.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:01 PM on Sep. 25, 2009