Bf moms...please help!!

My daughter was born 1 wk ago, so I've been bf for 1 wk. Already, my nipples are SOOOOOOO sore!! Am I doing something wrong? They don't hurt after she latches, but while she's trying to get on, it kills!! I put lanolin on after she nurses (everytime), does anyone have any tips or anything, or is it just something I have to deal with?!

mandi0986

Asked by mandi0986 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you shouldn't be having pain. is there a lactation consultant in your area? good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Try to guide your nipple into her mouth a little more. I was told NOT to use the "scissor" technique, where you use your index and middle fingers to hold your nipple at the areola and then give it to the baby. That is the only thing that worked for me. It could just be your nipples are not used to being used that much. I had similar discomfort, but it went away after 2 weeks.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 12:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I nursed my kids for a short amount of time, my son 4 weeks and daughter about one week. Sore nipples is a pain. What I did with my daughter was to express a little of my milk and rub it around my nipples, that really did help quite a bit
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Dont give up. The pain will go away. Check her latch, it's hard to see her lips on the underside of your breast, but feel with your fingers and make sure her lips are totally flanged.
    For now just leave afew drops of milk on your nipples after, and let them air dry if you can.
    I had discomfort like that for about 2 weeks then it was all better :)
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 12:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• After only a week, some soreness is still to be expected. If it hurt during the whole session, I'd say there might be a problem. But if it's only while getting latch initiated, I'd say its pretty normal. Your body is getting used to it. It should get better soon. I like Motherlove Nipple Cream, but unfortunately, am only able to find it online. I'd still suggest attending a LLL meeting, or seeing an IBCLC, just to make sure the latch is right, but from the way it sounds, I think it is ok.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I had the same thing and it does go away. My daughter 6 mos and still nursing:-) I think it took me about a month for the pain to go away. If it still hurts AFTER she latches then you should call your doc.
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I would take your entire breast into your hand and "play" with your nipple until it is standing tall. Then play with your daughter's top lib until she open nice and wide, then put the nipple and areola in her mouth. This should move the nipple into the back half of her mouth were it needs to be and reduce the pain you are feeling. When you nurse it shouldn't hurt. There is an adjustment period though for you and her. By 2 or 3 weeks things should be leveled out. I would also call the hospital for the number and name of a lactation consultant. WIC may also have one you can see. The lactation consultant will be able to see and hear how things are going and really be able to pin point the problem. Good luck, it does get better. I nursed both of mine over a year, my youngest will be weened by Dec. Give at least 6 weeks.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:14 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I had some varying degrees of pain for the 1st month I breastfed. I was told my latch was right so I don't understand when people say you shouldn't have pain if you're doing it right. Everyone I know took a few weeks to get used to it and had some level of discomfort for the first few weeks. hang in there - it will get better and it's so worth it!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I know there are people out there that say "If it hurts, you aren't doing it right" Well, I am still nursing my son and in the beginning my nipple did hurt. He had a good latch (wide open mouth and taking in as much of the areola as he could) and the child had a good suction. Make sure you break the suction before you take him off your breast, that will hurt like nothing else if you don't. Another thing is if your using linsinoh you don't have to remove it before nursing. I would use that stuff OFTEN. The pain also gets better as they grow and the baby's mouth gets bigger. Hang in there, there is nothing like the bonding experiance both mommy and baby get than through breastfeeding.
    mamaxs4

Answer by mamaxs4 at 1:45 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• it was like this for me as well. they would be sore but felt better once he was latched on. my son has always had a great latch but it did HURT in the beginning. use a warm compress often and also massage your breasts while you are in the shower. i massage them EVERY time and i'm very grateful that i have. the pain will go away. it just takes time. good luck
    Kimra

Answer by Kimra at 1:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2009