Food stamps

I just got an EBT card for the first time, but I was wondering if you can only use them for food items, or if I can buy diapers and wipes, etc. with them too. Does anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

• food items only unless you also get cash assistance.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:17 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• No, you can only use them for food. And you can't use them for food that's already cooked (like in the section of the store where they make sandwiches, sushi, chicken, meals, ect. You also cannot use it on alcohol or energy drinks.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 12:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• OP here. So I can't buy toilet paper or tissues, only non-cooked foods? What about frozen chicken nuggets or other frozen foods like peas or juice? Who checks on this anyway, the cashiers? Or is the card just 'programmed' to not pay for non-food items? Sorry, I'm just really freaking out about this. Do I have to go somewhere before I fill my cart and tell them I'm shopping with food stamps??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Most of the places we shop at let you run everything through the checkout. The system checks off stuff that is covered, after that they tell you what else is left that you have to pay cash for. You can also use it at stores that have a self check out also.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• OP here, can I still use coupons too, or no?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• In my state you can buy prepared food as long as it is cold.
    And if you get cash assistance, yes you can use your EBT card.

Coupons can be used, some states cashiers give you the cash back, some states just take it off the total bill.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 1:47 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• i work at walmart and when u r checking out there will be and F next to the items that are food and when u run your card it will take off the items that r food and the cashier will tell u the remaining balance u have to pay. u can buy frozen things and deli things but u cant get the chicken that is already cooked and prepared, like the rotiseree chicken that is ready to eat things like that with mine i was even able to buy my kids bday cakes with them and they were made at the bakery.also at the bottom of the recipt when u r done shopping it will tell u how much u have left. u can also use them in any state and a lot of the time the strips stop working so when try and run it through it wont work but the cashier can type the numbers in and u can finish ur order like u normally would with the pin pad...also make sure and hit food or it will decline the card b/c if u r trying to use the food part and hit cash it will decline it
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 2:21 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• but if this does happen then u can slide it again and hit food. also if u r using both cash and food make sure and run the food first then run the cash also if u get cash assistance u can get cash back at the register just make sure and know your balance before u try to pull money off there. i have had one too many ppl flip out on me b/c they think its our system when they dont know the blaance on their card. good luck,
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 2:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• You can get cloth diapers on freecycle and craigslist for free or close to it. You can make your own wipes with washcloths and baby soap mixed with olive oil and water.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:16 PM on Sep. 25, 2009