Do you use the word retard/retarded in place of stupid or dumb?

If you do use the word, do you relize how uneducated you sound and how offensive the word really is to some people? Have your children picked up on the word and use it?

I realize this question isnt fun, but I didnt know where else to put it! It really bothers me how many MOTHERS I see here on CafeMom using the word.

Riosmommy

Asked by Riosmommy at 12:26 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No, I find it highly offensive. My oldest son has autism and is in a special needs class - i've heard it used towards him and I about went off on the child who said it, but then it wasn't the child I should have been mad at, it was his parents who didn't teach him any better.

Answer by missanc at 12:30 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I also have a child with autism mama! .... but this word bothered me years before i had a child with speical needs

Riosmommy

Answer by Riosmommy at 12:31 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Hmm, so does that mean we can stop using terms like Blind as a Bat, or Are you fricken blind? Because I've seen that on here as well. Oh and what about little bus jokes, as my 16 year old takes the little bus to school because he is BLIND. Although in all honesty, I choose to not be offeneded as I fully understand the meaning behind the phrases
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:33 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• No.
    It really truly bothers me.
    I stayed with one of my DH's friends for a month while i was visiting in Germany and his wife said it ALL the time! even called her kids her "little tards" and would yell at them "Stop being a f*ck*ng RETARD!" it bothered the hell out of me! i couldn't wait to get out of there. lol her kids are like 7 and 10 or something like that.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:34 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• As a mom of a child with Autism I really hate that word and find it vert offensive (I always have, even before I had kids). I think the "R" word should be banned!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:36 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• my brothers have ceberal paulsey (CP) and I never use that word. I used to work at a special needs school all through tou highschool and after.
    TheDavis7

Answer by TheDavis7 at 12:38 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Yes I use it. Never using it towards an individual but things...that idea is retarded...and I have an uncle that suffers with mental retardation
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:39 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Sometimes, yes. But I don't call people who are handicapped, retarded, I call them handicapped or mentally retarded or special needs.

Do you use the term "dumb" (can't speak)? or idiot (synonymous with retard)? If you so you are doing the same thing.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 12:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• No.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• nope I consider those words cuss words in my house including dang it and things like that
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Sep. 25, 2009