So my friend is due with her second baby in late December and asked me to sit for the baby starting in late Feb and I agreed, my question is to those of you who watch other kids, how much do you charge?

the baby will be 2 mo old at the time. I live in south east michigan and have done some calling around to some daycares the prices I got range from 165- 219 a week. i would have the baby mon-fri from 7:30-5pm.
Mom is a great friend and our older boys are the best of friends too, they are in different school districts and I have agreeed to take him free of charge when he does not have school because we have never paid each other to take care of the boys I feel weird about taknig $$ when he helps keep my son busy!
thanks

rebeccadac

Asked by rebeccadac at 12:50 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

• $175 sounds fair since she is a friend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• For a sitter we pay $10-$15 an hr, but for a perm. position on a regular bases I have been charged/paid $20-$25 a day. So, for a full time 5 day a wk I would say 125-150 (esp for a friend)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• It depends on how much the mom makes. I would charge up to but not over half of what she makes. It also depends on the kind of care you are going to provide. When I cared for infants I would practice attachment parenting. I would carry them in a sling and care for them as if they were my own. I would help the mom with breastfeeding and make baby food when the time came.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:59 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Charge her 30.00 a day since you are not charging to babysit her son when he is not in school.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 2:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I would go with income. If she makes alot then $10 an hour is fair if she is low income then maybe $10 to $15 a day.
    2 years ago I took care of a baby, I would pack up my son drive to their house and watch their baby for $2 a hour!! the hubby was making $1500 a week! I felt sooo! flippin used!!!! It didn't take long for me to quit doing it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• where at in southeast mi i am from monroe. when my friend was watching my son i would pay her 30 a day and she watched him from 7am till 4pm. when i was a nanny i was getting paid 400 a week for working 3 days a week from 8am till 6pm.
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 2:57 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• depends on her incom.e..obviously if the household income is only like 15 bucks a hour she cant pay much....i paid my friend 300 a mnth!
    NIKKIANDYBABY

Answer by NIKKIANDYBABY at 7:01 PM on Sep. 25, 2009