What do I do with this stupid mutt?

HELP...He is 5 months old (shih tzu), knocks my daughter down purposely...he will run thru the house to do it when he finds her, he jumps up to snap playfully at her and usually nips her, will not leave cords alone or toys that are not his, is afraid of flyswatters and newspapers but will continue doing what is bad even after getting smacked with them, will not tell me when he needs to go out and will go on the floor...I know he is a puppy still but he can't seem to retain the basic rules of the house...no biting is a big one (yes I've bit him back), peeing on the floor, in his crate, running off...He can't live in his crate 24/7 and I'm about to send him to the pound...Ideas?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 12:52 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Pets

• Well if you really want to keep the dog then a lot of effort needs to be put forth so if that's something you are willing to do then i say you need to get into training right away. A class once a week will not do the trick though it will require practice at home as well. Being consistent and hard headed. :0) It will also take patience. Small dogs are harder to house break and train but it CAN be done. If this is something that you are not capable or willing to take the time for right now then yes find the dog a new home but do not give it away. anyone will take a free dog only someone who truly wants this puppy will buy it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:10 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• List him and give him away to someone who wants and has the time to train him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• my only suggestion is to get a litter box and train him like a cat. or get some puppy pads they they can go on.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 12:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Get into an obedience class fast. It will give that little brain something to work on and they will be able to help you with the more difficult issues. It is totally worth it!!!
    Rowdyblues

Answer by Rowdyblues at 12:55 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• ANON :54 I have time to train him, I have been working with him since he was weaned...he just isn't getting any of it...he knows what he is doing is wrong but will not stop...SO your response was in NO way helpful
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:56 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Rowdyblues: I trained my rotties, a chihuhua, a beagle, and a poodle without the classes but this dog can't get it. Myabe I'll call them, maybe I'm missing something with this breed.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• The dog is still young so it is bound to do these kind of things for attention. I personally would take it to obedience school. You can find some that are pretty reasonable. The Humane Society could direct you I am sure. Good Luck
    Jodie269

Answer by Jodie269 at 12:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Hitting him with a flyswatter and biting the dog when he nips are NOT "training" the dog (see her other post in Pets). Hmm...I wonder why your methods aren't working??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I think you may just have to keep working with the dog, some breeds take way longer than others to train, however your method may be. We recently ended up with a weenie dog that was almost impossible to get to follow the basics, so I had to only work on the basics, potty outside and such (no begging, no jumping, and sit) Once you get those first few, the other things may follow. Teach him the basic commands first and then build on that. I know it takes lots of time and persistance and can be very trying, but just keep working with him. Also, use the kennel more, I know not 24 / 7, but use it when he is naughty also. Good Luck
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 1:48 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Please find your dog another home where he can be happy and safe.

I look at dogs as being similiar to small children. Dogs bark. People get annoyed. How do we communicate? We talk. Dogs talk, too. Dogs see small children as puppies. They don't understand human, dog, cat in terms like we can. If they have been raised with a small child they see that small child as being part of their litter or maybe even as their puppy. That means that they want to PLAY with their litter mates which is what your puppy sees your daughter as.

Yes, find your dog a new home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Sep. 25, 2009