Stupid dog needs help or maybe I need it too?

HELP...He is 5 months old (shih tzu), knocks my daughter down purposely...he will run thru the house to do it when he finds her, he jumps up to snap playfully at her and usually nips her, will not leave cords alone or toys that are not his, is afraid of flyswatters and newspapers but will continue doing what is bad even after getting smacked with them, will not tell me when he needs to go out and will go on the floor...I know he is a puppy still but he can't seem to retain the basic rules of the house...no biting is a big one (yes I've bit him back), peeing on the floor, in his crate, running off...He can't live in his crate 24/7 and I'm about to send him to the pound...Ideas?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Pets

• shih tzu's are very high energy. At 5 months old he is the equivolent of a toddler: full of energy and curiosity. Like a toddler, you have to watch him like a hawk. He's not knocking your kid down to be mean, he's doing it to get attention. He's saying "play with me. Take 5 minutes to throw a ball or play tug of war. He pees on the floor because he's mad & can't express anger like we do. Take the time to play & bond with him just like a child. You will have a very loyal dog.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:24 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• First of all , that "STUPID" dog is not all that stupid. I'm thinking maybe you aren't ready for the full-time responsibility of having a pet. A dog needs time spent with him. A dog needs training. A dog needs consistency. Chasing him around the house with a flyswatter or paper, is not training a dog. Do you walk him at night? Do you play with him with toys? It's boredom dear. Dogs have lots of energy, and like children if you don't use up that energy and entertain them, they get bored and will do whatever it takes to get your attention(good or bad). Don't bite him back, hold his mouth shut for three or four seconds and tell him no. That doesn't inflict pain, which is what you are doing to this poor dog.

Either spend some time with him or give him to someone who will love that dog like he needs to be loved. Just because he has fur and walks on four legs does not make him any less intelligent than you.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 1:01 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I know all this and I have had 3 rotties that lived until old age, a chihuahua, poodle, and a beagle...all except the beagle did I have until the day they died...raised them from the day they weaned. I haven't had any of these problems with them. Yes I spend time with him, walk him, play with him. And NO I don't think this dog is intelligent but it may be the dog or the breed, have no idea. I need advice on how to get him to 'smarten up' rather than criticism. Thanks

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:06 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Well, i wasn't criticizing you, just sharing facts here and i apologize if the way i presented them wasn't to your liking, but people who call their dogs names shouldn't have a dog to begin with in my opinion, you wouldn't call your kid stupid when they mess up would you?(or maybe you would, i don't know you). When you start a post out with "STUPID" dog, it doesn't exactly sound like you are wanting to help him be a better dog but rather you just don't want him anymore. Knowing what you've now told me all I can say is you need to be consistent, and if you are stressed, the dog will sense it. Raising three other dogs, I'm sure you knew that already though, right?

You're welcome! Have a nice day.

CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 1:12 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Thank you and Stupid was posted so that someone would at least reply.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:19 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I'm with CinderAmethyst. If you think hitting the dog with a paper or flyswatter and BITING him are valid training methods then you're hopeless. I find it hard to believe those methods produced well trained animals. Give the dog to someone who can properly train and care for him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• You bit him back! You shouldn't have a dog. Find a rescue organization that will take him.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:52 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Yeah, either hire someone to train him or find him a better home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I am with the other posters, I adopted a dog from a shelter, who was TERRIFIED of flyswatters because well guess what, someone hit her with them. You need to be working with your dog, not inciting fear in it.
    My Aussie was a difficult dog, same problems, and guese what it was because she was SMART. Smarter dogs sometimes have a lot of behavior problems. But I NEVER even considered giving her away. I was 17 and even considered moving when my Grandparents thought she needed to go live somewhere else.
    NOW, she is the smartest and (usually) one of the most well behaved dogs, and great with my 5 month old.
    IF you are considering getting rid of the dog, then maybe that is the best answer because quite frankly it doesn't sound like a good fit for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Abuse is not "training". You should be ashamed of yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Sep. 25, 2009