Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone have a child that is allergic to pine or the pine derivitive? What do you do for this?

We noticed that our youngest broke out in hives after i cleaned with Pinesol. It went away when we left the house for a day and came back when we came home. Then a few weeks later we were having his party in the park where the area is sorrounded by pine trees again he became blotchy with hives. Yesterday I cleaned with Murphy's oil soap and he broke out with the hives AGAIN! When I called the co to see the ingredients she said that pine oil was the 2nd ingrediant! We have an appointment with an allergist but cant get in until Oct 19! I know they will have to do the skin test! poor thing! I just want to know what has been done for others. We are always around pine!! I am frustrated~

 
rebeccadac

Asked by rebeccadac at 12:57 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Health

Level 22 (13,737 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • I'm allergic to pine. Make sure you don't get a Christmas tree. As a kid I was always sick and had wierd rashes in December. My parents didn't believe in allergies. When I was a teen I was hospitalized and the doctors forced my parents to let them do allergy tests. Sure enough, I'm allergic to pine.

    It's not that bad of an allergy compared to others I have. You learn to avoid touching pine trees and to stay far away when allergies are bothering you. I take an allergy pill every day. It is one of the ones you can get for $4 a month at some drug stores if you don't have insurance. It helps a lot.
    Gailll

    Answer by Gailll at 1:39 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

  • you know, outside of giving him Benadryl I dont' know what else you can do. My daughter is allergice to evergreens of some sort, we aren't sure what. But when she brushes up against them she will get a red rash, but as soon as I wash her off it's gone. She hasn't had a problem since she was a toddler, so I dont' know if she outgrew it or she just hasn't been around them as much
    Zakysmommy

    Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:00 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

  • Pinesol is fairly toxic; OSHA requires that employees be warned when it is used.

    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non-toxic.
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (optional) (antiseptic and smells nice)
    For extra scrubbing, I make a paste with salt, baking soda and vinegar.
    rkoloms

    Answer by rkoloms at 7:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN