How bad can an anxiety attack affect the baby at 37 weeks? any tips/advice on being depressed while preggo?

hubby and i got into it last night pretty bad, and for once in a long time i think i had one of the worst breathing/anxiety attack thingie from crying in a looonnnggg time...
baby's moved around alot and things and even though things are setttled down and ok now i cant really seem to liven up or cheer up and im scared that it could harm the baby? im trying to be "positive" but its kinda hard and right after i had that stupid breathing panic attack thing w/e it is, i started having strong contractions for a few hours that were 3 minutes apart and lasted about a minute long but they didnt get stronger and there was no pain they were just strong and no bloody show so i ended up just going to bed and now im just getting little BH's.. could that have started up labor? first time ive been "down" and preggo so im concerned about baby...and suggestions/advice? could this one time "bluez" thing really harm her?

armymum1013

Asked by armymum1013 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There's no sense stressing about it...whats done is done. The chances of a panic attack causing your baby some kind of harm are slim to none...I mean, what kind of harm are you talking about?

Your baby has no clue whats going on outside of the womb. He/she probably heard the yelling..and that's about it. Unless you were in extreme emotional distress and having breathing problems for the last 8 months, I doubt it had any effect on your baby.

Stop stressing about it, because stressing isn't good for the baby, and the more you (needlessly) worry, the more you're GOING to worry, and the worse it seems. Don't make a mountain out of molehill, so to speak.

Emotional distress can cause BH contractions, but so can lots of other things...like being 37 weeks pregnant. I wouldn't necessarily attribute your most recent episode to an argument...one may have had absolutely nothing to do with the other.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 1:29 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• What do you mean by harm? Your hormones cross the placenta and flood the baby's bloodstream. I doubt your oxygen level dropped low enough to cause any problem.

It's normal for for human women to have times of anxiety during pregnancy. It's not good for the baby. Chronic anxiety would be worse.

A more important question is what are you going to do about your marriage. Do you want your baby to grow up in a home with parents that are fighting this bad. Can the marriage be fixed? Do you need to get out now before the baby is born? Are you safe?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:33 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Your child won't be damaged.. Nature has designed babies to be born if their environment (you) is unsafe. The contractions may have started because your body felt that something was wrong and it was necessary to get the baby out; similar to how untreated infections (like UTIs) can result in labor.

If you have a history of depression (it's happened before) you are at greater risk for pre-natal depression and postpartum depression and you should not delay in getting treatment. If it is recommended that you take medication, make sure you/your doctor check's "Dr. Hale's;" it is the definitive guide to what medications are safe while breastfeeding.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 1:55 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I have struggled with panic attcks my whole life, they are really hard on your body, and someone who doesnt have them doesnt know. I have been on medication for the last 5 years for them, but do not take it right now because I am 35 weeks and ativan is very harmful to the baby. Panic attacks can put your baby in distress, My doctor strongly suggested to take me meds if i need them but I said no.
    There is something called Valarian root you can take to calm you down, and drink a STRONG cup of Decaffinated Chamomile tea, and just try to lay down, or take a hot bath with one of those masks to help calm your nerves. It really does help. Good luck to you!
    ScEmz

Answer by ScEmz at 1:59 PM on Sep. 25, 2009