Can you check yourself?

How can you tell how far dilated you are, by doing it yourself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes...you can feel up on your cervix feels like a cone coming down from the top of your vagina in the back.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• No, I supose it you were a RN and had been trainned in OB with sterile gloves, you could. But if not then don't go messing with things down there. To check how dilated you are a Dr. uses a finger in your cervix opening to see how large it is opening. If you push around that opening (stripping the membrain) it causes pitosin(sp?) to start producing, which could cause contractions. So you can ask your dr about that too if you want. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I don't think that would be smart if you dont know exactly what you are "looking" for.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 1:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• While its not impossible, you'd have to be a really good contortionist to get your hand and wrist in the right position and long fingers. Oh, and you'd also have to know what you're doing...which, unless you're a medical professional, you don't.

So, needless to say, its advised by ANY medical professional that you don't try to 'check yourself', before you introduce some kind of bacteria into your vagina and/or cervix, or hurt yourself.

Leave the medical stuff to the medical professionals.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 1:24 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• It your water hasn't broken you could give it a try. If you can still have sex, I see no reason you can't try to feel your cervix.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:24 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• You can do what ever you want with your body. Medical "professionals" aren't necessary. You can do this on your own and you wont give yourself an infection. Just wash your hands first. If you have long nails, cut them.

Stick your finger(s) on up there and feel around. Some women have very deep vaginal canals, so it might be hard to reach. Your cervix feels like a cherry. As you approach delivery it will open. To reach mine I have to lay on my back and rock onto my shoulders and go in from underneath. You might want to ask hubby for help, especially if you are super pregnant (big) and can't reach.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2009