anyone familar with cistic fibrosis?

i was told i was a carrier when i was pregnant but never thought more of it. now my son is 10 weeks old and has had a cough for three weeks. a nasty rattling noise in his chest(phlem) and the dr keeps swearing its just part of virus but hasnt done any tests. Its not going away. His nose runs and u can hear the phlem rattle when he breathes sometimes. I hear this could be a sign of cf??? should i be forceful in making them test him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would get him tested for CF...my friend has it and it can be fatal...treatment is VERY important...my friend is now 22 years old and he was told that he wouldn't live to be 10, his parents moved him to Los Angeles to get the best possible treatment for it to keep him alive (they are from england and don't have as good medical care as we have)...get you baby tested, i wouldn't risk it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Cystic fibrosis is a recessive gene. Both parents must carry the recessive gene for the baby to have CF. Have the baby's father tested to see if he also is a carrier. If not, there is no chance your baby could have CF. If he is a carrier, there is a 1 in 4 chance that the baby could have CF, and therefore testing could be in order.

There is one very easy way to test at home. Run the tip of your tongue on your baby's skin. That's right: taste him and see if he tastes salty. If he does, it's a very good chance that CF is positive.

I cared for a young lady with CF for several years and learned quite a bit about it. If your son does have CF the earlier you know and can get treatment started, the better. Good luck!

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:52 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Your husband can be tested too to see if he is a carrier. That can actually look at the odds, & determin the chances of your child having it.

Never mind, i just realized the above poster said the same thing I'm trying to say...lol!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I would get him tested. My husband has CF its not very much fun but its very manageable.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 3:37 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• feel free to message me and maybe my husband can give you some insight about it.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 9:01 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• my doc told me i was a carrier of cf. we didnt have enough money for my man to get tested b/c he didnt have insurance, so my doc said they'll do it when she was born in the hospital. they never told me they did. i just saw my dodc on friday and i asked him about weather or not she has it b/c i was freaking out about the cough too, he told me they should have checked it in the hospital and i never herd anything back come back so i guess she dosnt have it. so maybe ask your doc who delivered your baby if they did that testing or have ur guy checked to see if he is a carrier too, if he is there is only a 25 percent chance your baby has cf. hope i helped some!
    HisBabyMama23

Answer by HisBabyMama23 at 3:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2009