Do you have microfiber furniture?

I am looking to replace my sofas and many of the reasonably priced sofas are made from microfiber. I was under the impression that material stains easily, like even water stains. Is that true ? Do you like the fabric? What are the good things/bad things about microfiber?

parrishsky

Asked by parrishsky at 1:19 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Home & Garden

• microfiber is horrid for kids and pets.. i have a dog and the fur sticks to it and then i got the slobber and snot marks from my lil girl and they are hard as hell to get off! im personally thinking of tossing out my newer microfiber couches
    malliegirl

Answer by malliegirl at 2:31 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I heard the same thing. I was also doing the "new sofa search" this past summer. Everything was micro-suede, or whatever it was called. Some of the stuff was comfortable, but it would easily stain. If kids were not an issue, I might have thought more into it, but I have grandchildren.

Something else to take note of, NO ONE has furniture in stock anymore either. Ashley was 6-8 weeks from order. They call it a show and tell store. Not. I want my stuff NOW when I buy. I finally went to a local furniture store, (small town dealer) who actually stocked stuff in it. I found a dual reclining sofa. It's similar to the older style material, but I love it. I took it home the same day.

My advice is to look at all your options before buying the micro stuff.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:25 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Microfiber is actually a really practical fabric to have in households with children in pets, particularly if you go with a darker fabric. It's easily cleanable because it's a synthetic fabric, unlike cotton or cotton blends which will be more prone to permanent staining. Water staining like you mentioned can happen to ANY upholstered fabric. The key with microfiber (or any fabric really) is just to get to any spills or accidents very quickly. Like any other upholstery, it will need a deep cleaning every year or two to remove general soil from body oils and such, but microfiber does tend to clean up very well. It can also be cleaned using a hot water extraction method, which is effective. Steer clear of anything marked "dry clean" or cleaning code "S" (which is code for solvent dry clean).
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Just thought I might add that I am actually in the textile care business, so it's not all just my "personal opinion", if it matters :)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Yeah my husband and I own a carpet cleaning business and we also do upholstery. We can clean micro-suede though it can be tricky. The HWE (hot water extraction, or steam cleaning) can work but it's important not to soak it too much because it can in fact leave water marks once dry....and carpet cleaners don't stick around for hours to see how it looks dry.

If you choose to get micro-suede the best method ew;ve found for cleaning the stains or water marks from trying to clean things with spray is you use a short handled brush, and get a commercial brand spotter (Home Depot and Lowes carry the spotter we use), it's called FOLEX!

Just spray the spotter on the brush NOT the fabric and gently scrub away until the spot and stain are gone. Making sure you have a good pet brush tool for your vacuum will help as well!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:38 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Thanks for your feedback. I am going to look in person cause a lot of the online places say 6-8 weeks and I don't want to wait. I've heard about the water/pet drool stains so will have to see one in person. I don't mind the cleaning (hot water extraction) and will deter if I have to dry or solvent clean. I may have to rethink the material.
    Right now I am leaning towards a tweed sectional so we'll see if the color meets my expectations.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 4:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• We had microsuede couches and I hated them! They were fine until we had kids and pets. But once my son got sick and every time he spit up - we'd get cleaned up pretty quick but the liquid soaked in and stains kept coming back... we just got rid of them recently and bought some leather couches. Everything wipes away...(we only allow our kids to use washable crayons, just in case) They are just kinda cold to sit on in the morning...so far so good...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Sep. 25, 2009