Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So, where does a SAHM go when you have no money and getting a divorce?

Divorce is more than emminent and I have a 5 yr old son. I have no money obviously and my husband was recently let go at his job. No, I cannot move in with any family and my son just started his first year of school. My husband is not my son's biological dad. I am so upset that I may in fact have to let my son live with his Dad while I am literaly on the street homeless. It has nothing to do with domestic violence therefore I cannot go into a shelter. What is one to do. I am not having a good day at all. Thanks for any answers.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (8)
  • I would go to your local SRS and tell them what is going on and see what resources they can get for you. You should be able to get some assistance from them to help you through until you can help yourself but they can also give you names and numbers of places that can help with like housing and things like that.

    Answer by Katysmom at 1:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

  • you better get a job and apply for PA in the meantime.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

  • Well, I'd say you just live like roommates while you get stable with a job, save some money, and are able to get an apt or rent house.

    As for the divorce itself, you can go to legal aide.

    Answer by Laura1229 at 1:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

  • Displaced Homemakers, through United Way I think, might be a help. Call United Way in your county and ask for places that might help you. Good Luck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

  • Thank you ladies, I am in fact applying for work and am following up on postions I have already applied for but at the time they didn't have anything. Let me tell you, looking for work is hard right now. I been applying for work since last Oct. and have only had 3 interviews! I have been working for up to 10 years and have been a sahm for almost two years. This is not a fun time for me at all.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

  • well your not divorced yet,right? talk to your hubby now and nicely ask him to let you stay till you find a job and have some money saved up,no need to make things really difficult,talk to your sons dad get him there fast,and start saving,sometimes we can avoid hard times if we put our pride down.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

  • Well, I know I would run home to Mom and Dad. I am just lucky to have that support that I know is there. We separated once and I was scared to death, I even had a job at the time and two less kids and I was still scared to death.
    I would suggest you find a job and try to quickly. Try to hang in there.

    Answer by kc932 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

  • apply for PA....ASAP! That will get you by with necessities until you get a job. They also help you find work - at least in some states they do.....

    Also, check into any type of HUD or Section 8 housing. It's not the prettiest, but its a home. Your rent is based on your income - no income, no rent.

    Good luck Hun! Been there done that: too many times to count!

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.