if someone gets a flu vaccine, can they pass the virus without having it?

I've heard that 24 hours after getting a flu shot, you can be contagious for the flu that you just were vaccinated against. I'm scared about my mother getting the shot and then spending time with my 1 year old who isn't the healthiest kid in the planet, we don't want the flu if we can avoid it. Is this contagious-after-vaccine thing true or false?

soflashelley

Asked by soflashelley at 1:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Kids' Health

• The flu vaccine DOES NOT contain the live virus, the person may have very mild flu like symptoms but that is just their body building an immunity to the flu.

The nasal spray does contain live virus, so that one I am not sure about.

Either way, it is a small amount and should not cause the flu.

To be on the safe side, can you avoid your mom for a few days after the vaccine?
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:48 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• No, they can NOT. The flu vaccine is NOT a live virus. The flu mist IS a live virus. You can NOT get the flu from the flu shot but I do believe you can from someone who had the flu mist. Check with your doctor or health department for the most accurate information.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:27 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Flumist, yes you can. That has a "shedding" period of over 20 days, btw, not just 24 hours.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2009