A Food Stamp Post

i am devastated. my husband and i both work full time. his hours have been reduced from 65 a week to 20. however he cant get an evening job as a second income because he is on call every night. sometimes he goes in for 2 hours and sometimes he doesnt go at all. but he doesnt have the option of saying no. so he spends the day waiting by the phone. i just went to see about getting food stamps because we are so behind on bills from this sudden loss of income. all of our interest rates have jumped up sky high from having late payments...we see no end in sight. well....we still make too much to get food stamps. we work as hard as we can right now and there is nothing out there for us. we are in need. there needs to be a program out there for people like us who work but are falling on hard times. it is not our fault. we didnt see this coming.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

• Well because food stamps are used for food and you do not qualify, can't you find some type of food bank in your area? Also check around at local churches. Someone should be able to help with food.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• u can always ask for an admin heraring to get it overtrned and talk to someone high up than just a case worker. we get 621 a month for food stamps but we make about 1500 a month.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Why doesn't your husband just find a job that offers full time employment and quit the unstable job with the reduced hours?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• sounds like your in Minnesota...seriously! it is tough to get anything in this state. I tried to get emergency asst.( lights were going to be shut off) we had to account for how we spent our money for the last 6 months needless to say the light were shut off for 4 days, lost the food in the fridge and freezer all because we could not account for 6 months of spending.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:02 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I don't think she was rude. Your best option at this point might be for him to start looking for a better job. Until then some things will have to give. Can you give up your house phone and just use your cells, or get rid of cable or even internet? When I was in a similar position I got rid of everything extra until I got through it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• "Answered at 3:02 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 by: Anonymous
    I don't think she was rude. Your best option at this point might be for him to start looking for a better job. Until then some things will have to give. Can you give up your house phone and just use your cells, or get rid of cable or even internet? When I was in a similar position I got rid of everything extra until I got through it. "

we dont even have a house phone. we tried getting rid of digital cable and internet but would only save 20 dollars a month so we kept that. we dont use heat or air conditioner unless we are dying of extreme temperatures. we dont use lights during the day. we each have a car...mine has 0 interest and its paid down quite a bit so im not getting rid of it. my husband could sell his truck for a junker but we'd probably pay just as much in repair bills...we own nothing of value. i dont know where to start.
    emilsmama

Answer by emilsmama at 3:14 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Is your husband looking for a new job?

Answer by rkoloms at 4:12 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I would ask your husband to find another F/T job, and you find a job an opposite shift. Also, ask your creditors for a hardship rate; it reduces your monthly bills, and do some meal planning. The meal planning doesn't work in my house because some are allergic to food, some just don't like certain things, so I gotta justify that way.

I am in CA, and I cannot get a freakin' job either, its ridiculous. When there is an opening, 600 applicants apply. Well, maybe not that much.......but I am sure 100, 200, 300 people apply.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 9:14 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I just realized you work F/T already.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 9:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2009