URGENT!!!..How can i get rid of my sons severe dry scalp???

My sons scalp is severely dry...it is flaking every where..i give him a bath everyday almost and he still has it..i heard you could put olive oil on it for 15 mintunes and it will help release the dry skin and flakes..i really need to get it cured..it is really bad and i just noticed how bad it was..i dont know ifi should call his ped and see what he says or what..Please Help!!

JoshysMomma19

Asked by JoshysMomma19 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how old is your son is it cradle cap maybe you shouldnt wash his hair as often that can cause drying of the scalp maybe try to find a moisturizing shampoo for babies
    mom2kaydence09

Answer by mom2kaydence09 at 2:04 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• my son had it really bad i put baby oil in his hair and used the comb they gave me at the hospital or any fine toothed comb and brushed all the flakes out of his hair it took a couple of times but it worked i have also been told to use a tiny bit of dandruff shampoo but i didnt want to risk it getting in his eyes. also put a little bit of baby oil in his bath water then u wont have to se lotion and a little bit will stay in his hair thats how i have avoided it with my daughter.
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 2:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• oil up his scalp and brush gently against the grain of the scales. You may need to do this once a day for a ffew days to get it all off...and some of his hair will probably come out too. It's nothing to get upset about, it's not hurting him, just doesn't look nice. good luck!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:13 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• don't pick it, use lotion on it everyday and brush his hair, it will go away.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 2:16 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• comb the hair, put olive oil or baby oil on it, comb it again, let it sit, then wash it out. do not give him a bath everyday if he has very dry skin- that often can dry the skin out even more. my daughter is 9 1/2 months and still gets bad dandruff, and also has atopic dermatitis, which is a dry skin condition that some babies get as a reaction to certain things. she gets a bath every few days, and i have to use a hypoallergenic wash with lotion for her skin, and oil on her scalp. and do not pick at the flakes- this will irritate his scalp and him.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• ahhh, cradle cap. I used to call it cradle crap..lol! It's just skin that is renewing itself, it's not "dry". Olive oil works great. Just rub it in, brush it with a baby comb, gently rub a terry cloth on his head to losen the dead skin & do it once in the AM & Once in the PM. Do not over wash him, & don't worry! Almost all baby's have this. Baby oil is great too, i ALWAYS put baby oil in the tub water when DD bathed, it never came back.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:14 PM on Sep. 25, 2009