How many ounces of formula should a 4 month old baby be drinking?

my baby is smaller than most babies so i'm wondering if maybe he isn't getting enough milk. how many oz should a 4 month old baby be drinking?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• whatever it takes to fill him up. sounds cliche but true. esp if he's small theres a chance he wont drink as much. or just the opposite drink twice as much. my 4 month old was bf at the time in daycare so bm he drank less than kids who had formula (but gained weight like crazy). he was drinking like 4 oz at a time. now at almost 10 months, he still drinks only about 6 oz with each bottle. but also eats table food. so i say put a 6 oz bottle together for a couple feedings when he's full he'll quit, and you'll know what he needs. if he starts freaking out when bottle is gone, then he prob wants more. he'll let you know momma.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 2:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Bottle fed babies should not be fed as much as they will take. Babies fed by bottle are not able to regulate their intake.

Think about it. Babies have a strong sucking need. Some babies that need only 4 ounces may suck down 8 ounces just because they want to suck and it's in there. If they were at the breast they would suckle and the milk would run out and then they would just be suckle on an empty breast. Milk doesn't just keep flowing.

You need to find a age and weight chart for formula. Go to google and find one. The formula company websites should have ones. There are charts for how much human milk to give a baby that is being fed by bottle. Don't use these, use the formula ones.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• You really need to ask your babies pediatrician, they will tell you what will work best for your baby and their needs.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 2:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Babies fed by bottle are not able to regulate their intake.
    _______
    LOL I guess no one ever told my DD she isn't able to self regulate, she has done so since a week old. WHen she is done, she spits out the bottle, and turns her head away from it.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 2:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• maximum of 32 oz is normally the right amount a day for a 4 month old
    http://www.earthsbest.com/baby_nutrition/feeding_schedule_print.php
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 3:35 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Depends on the baby. My daughter (she is now 3) was drinking a full 8oz bottle at 4 months. My boys are just a little over 2 months and up to 6oz. They can sit with support and have control over their heads, so I give them a little rice cereal before bed. It fills them up and they sleep through the night. So I guess give her what it takes to fill her belly. If someone tells you 4oz is normal and she's still hungry, you don't want to starve her. Doctors don't know everything and usually go by statistics, forget it. Babies just don't follow the books lol
    DesJordan

Answer by DesJordan at 3:39 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• my daughter is 3 and a half months and I feed her about 5 oz of formula but she doesnt always drink it. Its all up to your baby, and regardless of what the one lady said your baby can tell you when shes full. Im sure you already know that having a 4 month old. Im sure your baby is fine, I think its like 20-24 oz in a day for 4 months. Hope that helps :)
    anvilchick83

Answer by anvilchick83 at 12:20 AM on Sep. 26, 2009