Is it so wrong to want to be induced if I haven't had my baby by 39/40 weeks??

I am prego with my second . We have a 2.5 year old that wasn't born till 41 weeks I was induced she was 9 lbs 11 oz. With this pregnancy we talked about that if this baby was estimated a high weight the doctor wouldn't let me get to 40 weeks if I hadn't had the baby naturally by then . Everyone is giving me such a hard time about waiting to induce before I have the baby naturally . It's not like I am only 7-8 months prego I am full term and the baby is estimated to be at 7 lbs 14 oz already her fluids are good and if we do wait till she comes she could possibly be over 9 lbs like our DD. I didn't have a bad labor with DD I did tear alittle and ran a fever but nothing more serious . I am just VERY tight all the time swollen feet and hands 24/7 and just uncomfortable the last week I didn't get like this with my DD till 40 weeks the week before we induced . I just feel that I can't wait past 40 weeks even maybe 39 weeks.

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 2:14 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would just wait. I know with Shaylee, you had a textbook induction but what if things don't go like that this time and you end up with an emergency c-section? Believe me, I know all about being uncomfortable...Lexi was born in the summer, so I was huge and pregnant in the hottest of summers we'd had in a while AND I had pre-eclampsia. I would say to wait it out. After you go past the 40 week mark, then think about it.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 2:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I was induced at 36 weeks and my son was 9 lbs 7 oz so i would not worry to much. Your babys lungs should be great. Talk to your doc and tell them how you feel and your concerns. Good luck.
    MommyTessier

Answer by MommyTessier at 2:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• It's not wrong if YOU don't think it is. Not in my opinion. It's your body and your baby and what you want to do is your choice. Just because some will SAY it's wrong, well, that doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is YOU.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 2:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I think its selfish to force a baby out before it is ready without any medical reason. You will be taking unnecessary risks with your own and your babies life for convenience.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I was induced with my 2nd at 38 weeks. My dr. was worried cause my first labor was so quick that I wouldn't make it to the hospital on time with the 2nd. Everything went great an my little girl was perfectly healthy. If my dr. wants to induce me again this time I'm all for it. Especially already having 2 young children, you can plan easier with someone to watch them as so forth.
    atjm0919

Answer by atjm0919 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Who is going to pay for all the extra medical bills because you feel like being induced? The drugs and IVs ect.? If it's Medicaid or the insurance company then that means US. Do you want to pay yourself? Even if it is included in a package deal someone pays. Those drugs and IVs aren't free.
    What if you have to have a C-section? Or even just a UTI?

Your body should not grow a baby bigger than you can birth. You already gave birth to a big baby so you know you can do it. Have faith in your body knowing when it is time.

You say your labor wasn't bad. Did you have an epidural? Maybe this time you won't need one.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:24 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• it is too risky imo. you have gone 38 weeks, what is 2 or 3 more? well, the answer is a lot more development on the baby's part! :) baby's know when they are ready and signal labor. read PUSHED by jennifer block. it's really good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Is it wrong? Well, I don't know. But it doesn't seem necessary to me. For most women, there is absolutely NOTHING dangerous about birthing a 9-10 lb baby.

I'm 41w,2d pregnant with my 4th today and will not plan to induce unless I reach 42 weeks. At that point, pitocin would be my very LAST resort.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 2:49 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I was induced for medical reasons. I was 3wks early and he was completely healthy. Some women have problems with big babies. For example a friend of mine just gave birth to a big baby and they couldn't stop her bleeding. They had to give her a shot to stop it and then she had terrible diarreah. So if it is a possibility that your body can't handle it then you should.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 3:01 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Having been induced w/ my first at 41 wks, I went in voluntarily at 39 wks w/ #2, and she ended up being pre-mature. Went to the NICU, had difficulty breathing, and her heart rate was high. The told me to consider her preemie for the first 4 months.

Some women cook their kids a little longer. I wouldn't risk it if I were you.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 3:12 PM on Sep. 25, 2009