Is in-vitro a 'greedy' or 'selfish' act?

I over heard a conversation today at the store and this one woman was just going on and on about how greedy and selfish her sister-in-law was to be going through in-vitro when she and her husband already had a child. I am confused how is this either of those accusations? Anyone else feel this way and want to explain it to me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't think it is greedy or selfish at all. I think that is a very personal and private decision between the parents-to-be and is not anyone else's business. I know if my hubs and I would had problems concieving I would have tried any/all means available to get pregnant.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:17 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• This is one of those questions where the answer would be highly personal. Many folks who want more than one chld and are having difficulty TTC opt to adopt. A lot of people who have difficulty TTC still want very strongly to have biological children of their own. Who are any of US to judge that choice for someone else?
    laurelsmama

Answer by laurelsmama at 2:29 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I don't know if it is selfish or greedy. I know it isn't something I could do myself. We were childless for 13 years before finding our son in the foster system. In-vitro just seems a lot like 'playing God" to me. What is right for someone else doesn't mean it is for me. I think people should keep their noses out of other peoples business though. If one more person had said to me "aren't you pregnant yet?" I would have punched them in the face.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• OP: I want to make this clear. i am not judging anyone, well, maybe the asshole lady at the store...I dunno what would make you even need to bring that up? It seems like one of those opinions you don't talk about in the frozen food isle with 5 other people standing around...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I had fertility problems. Some people think that after you have a child you should just be glad you were able to have one. You can want a second child even more than the first. With the first there is more ambivance. You want a baby but you have your life with your job ect.

After you have a baby and you love being a mom you can want that second baby even more than the first. People that don't have fertility problems may not understand that. The reactions of others can hurt when you are so despertly wanting a baby. You see young girls pregnant, women smoking pregnant, really fat ugly women pregnant and you wonder why not me.

Then there are people in grocery stores judging you.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:59 PM on Sep. 25, 2009