What's the difference between primrose oil and castor oil?

I'm now 41 weeks and 2 days pregnant with my 4th baby. My midwife wants to induce me next week if baby is not here (and to be honest, I'm not entirely comfortable going past 42 weeks myself). I've heard lots of people talk about castor oil, which doesn't sound like a good idea to me at all (although I know some people swear by it). But I rarely hear anything about primrose oil?

Do the two have the same symptoms? What exactly is the difference?

fluud7

Asked by fluud7 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Castor oil upsets your stomach and either gives you the runs or makes you vomit, both of which can bring on contractions.

Primrose oil contains prostaglandins, which soften your cervix
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:33 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• caster oil makes u poop ur barins out and it is painful i used it with my son to try and induce labor didnt work and i pooped alll night till i was bleeding i pooped so much. evening primrose oil i have not heard much about but when i worked in an alternative meds store pregnant women would come and get black and ble cosh (sp) and take them together and it would induce labor. they r only safe to use though if u r absoultely past your due date i have never heard of them not working and if u try to go into labor too soon it could be a bad situation which i am sure u already know but i would look up the black and blue cosh and research it more 4 ur self. most main stream stores will not carry it but if there is a local health food store u can buy it there and they tincutres that r in a small bottle and would be in the womens health area or herbal area. good luck hope u get to meet ur LO soon.
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 2:38 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• What is your worry about going past 42 weeks?
    Are you worried about being outside the average due period?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:01 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Thanks for the replies, ladies.

doulala:

You know, I'm not sure exactly what my worry is about. I've read about how the stillbirth rates increase quite a bit after 42 weeks as well as the (very small) possibility of retardation. I'm not normally one to mind "statistics", but for some reason these things have been heavy on my mind lately. I just feel more comfortable going with my intuition on this one. And since I know what day I conceived, I'm not at all concerned with the baby being "not fully cooked" (lol). But I am just praying that things will happen on their own before Wednesday so I don't have to make any major decisions.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 4:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2009