Please read my story if your thinking about getting your child a motorcycle or if they already have one.

Five days ago my mom got a phone call from my 19 yr old brothers girl friend asking if my brother was really in a motorcycle accident and my mom said not that she knew of and started flipping out calling the local police and hospitals. My brother did have an accident and was care flighted 4 hrs. befor my mom got the phone call from his girlfriend. No one bothered to try and get a hold of my mom who lived right down the street from where the accident happend. We had no idea how it even happend or why but hes been in the trauma unit for 5 days now and was just pulled off life support yesterday and is breathing on his own right now. His pelvice was severed in half, he has a broken leg and wrist and his back is badley injured. We were told that his vertabre which is what protects the spine is broken in many place mid section and all of his left ribs are broken. They had to remove his spleen and part of his left lung. Thank god he

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 2:35 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• has no brain injureys but he just went into surgery to reconstruct his pelvice and depending on how bad it is they might fix his wrist. Hes able to talk now that they pulled him off life support but this has been the hardest thing I have even been through in my life. He would beg me for water and would mouth it to me to pull the tube out of his mouth befor they actually pulled it out and I had to tell him no because he would choke and my mom and I would just sit back and cry. But now that hes actually talking he told my mom yesterday that he just wants to die cause hes in so much pain. My mom did not take that well but shes on the doctors constantly about keeping him medicaited so he doesnt feel it as much. He will be in the SICU for about 2 more months and then will move to another room and then will have to eventually move into a rehab facility. By the way he finally was able to tell us what happend.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 2:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I'm so sorry. I used to work in a hospital and saw young motorcycle accident victims come into the ER. The damage is horrific.

My son's head was run over by a truck in the Everglades at a concert when he was in college. He was airlifted to Ft. Lauderdale. I was sick and had a sick baby and no money and couldn't get there. We were lucky and he recovered with some brain damage. He wasn't able to finish college and changed everything about his life.

It sounds bad for your brother. I wish your family the best.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• The day of his accident he bought a new part for his bike and had to remove the breaks and some other things to put it on. He forgot or didnt know that he had to bleed the breaks befor putting them back on so air was stuck in there. He punched it going between 60 and 80 down the street from my moms house and when he went to slow down to turn the corner his brakes werent working and he ran straight into a curb. He was thrown about 20 ft in the air and went through a wood fence and a couple of trees and landed in a field. His friends saw the wreck and called 911 and told my brother not to move. They said my brother couldnt talk but was moaning and pointing to his leg. After they careflighted him the police marked my brothers body and bike what was left of it and called it in as a fatality cause they were sure that he wouldnt make it but he did and Im by his side everyday preying but he has 6 more surgerys after this and I need
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 2:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Every ones preys because he has a long road ahead. Thank you for reading my story and I hope a mother out there reading this will think twice befor letting there son get a motorcycle. Because my mom is the one who bought it for him because my brother is her only son and she wants to spoil him but now everyday since this happend she blames herself and has totally lost it. She crys by his bed side holding his hand all the time telling him she should have never let him have that bike.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 2:46 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• His name is Taylor and hes only 19 yrs old. I dont understand why this happend to my brother I wish that someone was there to make sure he put everything back togeather on his bike right. Whats really sad is that my brother had to have been scared to death going that fast and new he was in bad trouble and I hate that. Im so mad and I never stop crying, I wake up in my sleep crying all the time. I love him very much and I hope that no one here has to feel the pain that were all going through right now cause this is the worst that has ever happend any one remotely close to me and I dont know what Im going to do. I just make sure Im there everyday and tell him I love him and kiss him. God is with him and many angels cause he didnt die and hes fighting for his life instead. Thanks again for hearing my story
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 2:47 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• MY DH OWNS A BIKE HE GOT INTO AN ACCIDENT ONE WEEK AFTER I GAVE BIRTH. HE BROKE HIS COLLAR BONE. I HATE THE FREAKING THING BUT HE LOVES IT.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Oh I am so sorry.....I hate motorcycles...especially for young people. They are so reckless at that age. I would never allow my boys to have them. And still although they are grown I discourage it. My 19year old son talks about getting one, but he knows how I feel about them.

You and your family are in my prayers.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 3:24 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Sorry, am still going to keep my bike. I love it. I can't wait until it is completely fixed. Sorry about your brother.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 3:34 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I am sorry for what your brother is going through. My dh has a bike and he has been in a very serious accident as well. It wasn't his fault - drivers should be more careful of others. But my dh will never get rid of his motorcycle and I kinda hope he doesn't, he wouldn't have been the guy I fell in love with without it.

Answer by missanc at 3:57 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I am an occupational therapist. I worked in the ICU for trauma II hospitals for a long time. I cannot tell you how many young men I worked with who were in motorcycle accidents. Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) or Spinal Cord Injuries (SCI) were the common denominator in those cases along with all of the other fractures, organ injuries, and "road rash." Seeing the damage done to them and the horrific things they had to go through on the road to recovery has forever changed me. DH knows that I will divorce him immediately if he ever buys himself or any child of mine a motorcyle. He knew this before he married me (and did it anyway).
    I am SO SO sorry that you are having to go through this. I know what you are dealing with. A severed pelvis is going to have rehab that borders on inhumane. Be strong for him, pray for him, just be there for him. He will need you and your mom to be cheering him on once he gets out of ICU. Be strong!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2009