Do you think that is fair for the child to be placed in a school that requires for him/her to travel round trip 3 hours a day on the bus?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• No it's not fair. In Arizona there are charter schools that get state funding and you can send your child to a charter school and it's free. You also have a lot of say in what school your child attends. We have only lived here a year and it seems like it's great!

Remember you are sending your child to a free government school. If you don't like it you can homeschool or drive your child to school. If you are going to have children you need to be willing to be responsible for their education.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:26 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I think that life is not fair.
    And i think that it also depends on why that child has been "placed" as you said, in a school that far away.
    My cousin was "placed" in a school 5 hours round trip from where he lived. ...But of course, he was stabbing people with his pencils and threatening to hang himself with his shoelaces ...
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Are you in a rural area? Around here kids in rural areas travel that far because there is not enough population to support "neighborhood" schools. They can not find enough teachers to teach in small rural areas. If you are renting, move closer when your lease it up!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Are you in a rural area?

No. Students who live in the city. OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Wow, three hours on a bus is alittle to much IMO. I wouldn't want my kids on a bus for that long. I"d ask they be put in a closer school, or I'd end up driving them if nothing else.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• That would only be in a very large district like the one my kids go to. Actually when my husband was a kid it took 2 hours one way to get to school, 52 miles one way!(it was 2 hours because of the stops) When schools don't have alot of kids they lose funding, which means the schools close. So kids are bussed from all over to one building just so there is enough kids to get enough funding to run the school. Make sense? also the cost of running the buses, some houses are so far back int the woods the bus driver tells the parents to drive to a bus stop so some parents have to drive 8 miles one way to the special meeting spot

What I hate about my district is in order for kids to play sports they have to travel up to 90 miles one way just to play another school. My kids used to get on the bus at 7 am and get to school at 8:10am
    It isn't fair, don't like it, move closer to school
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My son goes to a Highly Capable program at a school about 20 minutes from here. His bus picks him up at 650 AM, and school starts at 8am. They get out at 230 and he gets here at 330 pm. So he rides the bus a little over 2 hours a day, but he uses it for homework time and socializing time. I can't drive him because my other 2 go to different schools, so all 3 kids are in different schools, and I have to drive my oldest son to his bus stop and my 5 year old DD to kindergarten at 740 and 8:00am so there is no way I could drop my middle son off at his school 40 minutes early lol. BUt the school is good for him, he was not being challenged in his other school. He is in 5th grade and at an 8th grade level as far as math and writing, and at a 11th grade reading level. There is nothing else we could do for him but send him to this school.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2009