Am I the only one who doesn't dream of a house?

I don't want one. We rented one for a year and it was hell, not only am I in charge of the interior (which is a full time job) but then I was in charge of the exterior as well. DH helped if I told him exactly what to do (trim the hedge to 4' or so tall, THEN rake up the stuff that you trimmed off and take it back to the compost heap). Its not that I dont want to own my own home at some point, maybe a nice condo or townhome, but its a heck of a lot of extra work. I like being able to call the landlord when my sink is dripping, I don't have to figure it out and I don't have to budget for a plumber. Maybe its just me though. I NEVER want to own a house!

auroura

Asked by auroura at 3:31 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have no desire to own a home right now. Maybe in 10 years, maybe in 15. Maybe never. I like that I can pack up and move at the end of my lease if I choose to, and not have to wait til I have a buyer so I can avoid paying 2 mortgages. I like that if something is wrong, maintenance is out to fix it with a phone call, without any extra cost to me.

Last May the a/c unit went out in my apartment and we wound up having to stay in a hotel 2 nights while it was fixed because the weather was dangerously hot. None of that cost me anything. I like the thought of owning a piece of property I can do what I like with, but we'll hopefully be moving in the next 5 years after I'm done with school, so renting is really the best option for me right now.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:27 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I like having a home, but it is alot of work. I hire out for my yard work to be done. Im a single mom and I just cant do everything. Id rather stay an hour late at work!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• After living in base housing and having a Gunny telling me how I can and can't decorate my lawn and how the red on the walls of my kitchen are too dark, even though the handbook says you can paint the walls whatever color you want. My flowerbeds interfere with my neighbor's grill and how it's foolish for a woman to hang her "underthings" on the clothesline in the backyard and so on and so forth I would love to have our own place. Hubby's a lifer though so it'll probably be another 20+ years.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 3:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I love having a house and knowing that it's all MINE. I can do whatever I want with the interior, replace the carpet with hardwoods, install crown molding, etc. And I also know that a landlord can never tell me I have to move either because they are selling or deciding to do something else with the property. Plus, it's a great investment - I'm not throwing my money away and at some point, the payments will be done.

Answer by missanc at 3:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• We love being homeowners. We have totally redone the inside and outside of our home. The kitchen is exactly the way I designed it. My Hubby is Mr fix it so no worries if something needs fixing. Having a yard for our boys to run in is also a plus, they can play football, baseball, soccer etc in the yard and not even worry about the neighbors. From where our house sits the only thing we see is our neighbors roof through the trees about a 1/2 mile away. So no I wouldn't want to throw our money away on rent, this is our home, it's all ours and we like it this way...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:06 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I've owned my own home for years and am now living in an apt instead. so i've done both, personally I like having someone to call if something goes wrong and not mowing grass.
    tracylynn7570

Answer by tracylynn7570 at 4:19 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• i don't know but i like to see that my monthly money goes to something i will eventually own rather then having someone make money off me and never owning it. some landlords never get around to doing what needs done. i hate the extra chores but i also like being able to decorate and fix up the way i want it. especially with kids.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:29 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My beloved and I are getting ready to open a savings account specificlly for the purpose of buying a house one day. I really love the idea of buying a "fixer upper"; perhaps an old Victorian-style home. We have a few years to plan this endeavor though. He still has at least 4.5 years left in the Army. As well, we plan to do the gypsy thing and move to a different state every few years once he retires (he is stationed in my home state, so next we plan to live in his, then perhaps Boston, Washington state, and so on). When we finally find an area that we both really love, we will crack open our "nest egg" and purchase our own house.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 4:46 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• After living in base housing and having a Gunny telling me how I can and can't decorate my lawn and how the red on the walls of my kitchen are too dark, even though the handbook says you can paint the walls whatever color you want. My flowerbeds interfere with my neighbor's grill and how it's foolish for a woman to hang her "underthings" on the clothesline in the backyard and so on and so forth I would love to have our own place.
    ___
    I LOVED living in housing. Our housing was privatized and while we couldn't paint it, I can't imagine any of my husband's superiors or any military member, not even the Post Commander saying anything about our home... Maybe that's a difference between the Army and Marines, I don't know. They encouraged you to decorate your yard and take pride in flowers and stuff...

Right now, I don't want to own. We will be moving in 2 1/2 yeas and I'm scared to rent it out...
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 4:48 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• We bought a townhouse last year. I have rented since i was 18 yrs. old , so it was good to finally have a place to call my own. Right now a townhouse makes sense b/c my DH works too much to really do any work on it, it drives me nuts. I can't even imagine if we had a yard to care for, he would never do it. But... I kind of wish we would have waited to buy a house since we can now afford a bigger place and have a daughter. I worry we won't be able to sell it. But...it's always nice to have an investment in where you live. I was able to decorate and stuff and I never would have done that at an apt. since you never know how long you will stay in an apt. The longest I ever rented was only for 1 year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Sep. 25, 2009