Does anyone have a good way to get rid of constipation in a 1 month old?

My baby girl is one month old and we are doing Breast feeding and formula but she keeps getting constipated. We have tried the little exercises with her legs and the karo it helps but she just gets is again the next day. Any suggestions?

kat324

Asked by kat324 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have the same problem but all these people dont seem to realize that obviously your giving her formula AND breastmilk for a reason.....Give this girl a break!!! If I could give her more milk I would and she has problems going to the bathroom, I take her outside and put rubbing alcohol on my babies belly. Ive given my daughter sugar water since 4 weeks and shes nearly 3 and a half months, doc said I could. You cant always listen to people on here your best bet would be to ask the doc. Im going on the 30th to see if I can give juices to her but at one month im not sure. Hope this helps and dont let them tell you anything to make you feel bad, every kid is different and only you and the doctor know whats best for YOUR baby! :)
    anvilchick83

Answer by anvilchick83 at 12:17 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Cut out the formula....the more breastmilk the better it will be on her. At a month old you should be able to produce enough breastmilk....there are many ways to raise it if you feel its low. Formula has synthetic iron in it, which is KNOWN to cause constipation.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 3:34 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• pear juice, dilute it half and half with water (1 ounce pear juice 1 ounce water) otherwise you can replace an ounce of water in a bottle with an ounce of pear juice and mix bottle normally. Thats what my doc told me. Works wonders. You will know it they get too much...watery bm.
    devo3

Answer by devo3 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I had the same problem with exclusively breast fed baby, changed my diet nothing worked. Finally I changed my baby to sensitive similac and it stopped.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Sugar water it works good. Just a little in the bottle helps out
    patchthatpays

Answer by patchthatpays at 3:38 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Ditch the formula if you can, and DON'T use Karo. It's a botulism risk, as per their own website. What are her symptoms (why do you think she's constipated)? Is she primarily breast fed and just a little formula, half breast half formula or primarily formula and a little breast?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Does she have little rocks in her diaper or is it just hard for her to go? If it is just hard for her to go, I would say cut dairy and caffeine from your diet for a little bit and see if that helps, and also try cutting the formula and only giving bm for at least a few days(while getting rid of dairy and caffeine)to see if it makes a difference in the ease of pooping. If it is hard and rock-like when it comes out, is very painful to move, and lasts more than a few days, you should take her to the pediatrician. Babies also act "constipated" when they are gassy:crying, turning red, grunting, pulling the legs up, etc. So you might also try warm baths, tummy massages, and a little mylicon or gripe water.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:01 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• This might sound gross but have you tried taking her temperature rectally? This can help constipated kids poop. And I agree with the other posters, give her as much breastmilk and as little formula as possible. Breastmilk is a natural laxative, formula is notorious for causing constipation.
    zorrokat

Answer by zorrokat at 4:03 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• No sugar water, no Karo.

Keep in mind that not pooping is not constipation. Constipation is struggling to pass hard dry pellets. IF bnaby is struggling to poop, first thing to do really is to eliminate the formula. The breastmilk is a natural laxative.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:41 PM on Sep. 25, 2009