My kid wants to be a vet

My kids wants to be a vet and I want to help her I was wondering if there is any vet/ science camps in Minnesota or North Dakota, I have been looking on the internet and all the ones I find are in MO or FL and I don't want her that far away!! Or do any of the homeschools know of any good science circulum we can do this summer, she goes to public school during the school year. Last summer she was depressed and did nothing, but if she is ultra scheduled she has not time to get depressed, so this coming up summer I need to keep her on her toes.

blue_glass_mama

Asked by blue_glass_mama at 3:41 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would try searching in google maybe...But I know here in FL the countys humane society offers summer camp, maybe the one where you live does too.

Just b/c I have to, If your daughter is acting depressed when shes not busy. The best treatment isnt just to keep her busy. She needs to know how to handle not being busy. Just an observation-don't go all crazy momma on me :)
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:45 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• She could volunteer with rescue organizations. We foster for two. One has a vet tech that goes to homes once a week to weigh and check up on the animals and give shots, ect. She might enjoy helping with that.

If she is in high school she may be able to take courses at a local community college. She might even consider a vet tech program before going to college to be a vet. For college she will have to take pre-med courses for a four year degree and then apply to vet school. It will be so long before she gets to do anything with animals. If she is already a vet tech she can work part time in college and increase her chances of getting in vet school or she can just do volunteer work and that would also increase her chances.

I completed a one year medical lab tech program before attending IU. It was a great idea and I was able to work at the student health center at IU while a student.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:49 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• You might try getting her interested in Girl Scouts or Explorers. She could work at Girl Scout or Boy Scout camp for the summer. My sons worked at Boy Scout camp for years and one of my sons met his future wife working at Boy Scout camp.

There are Explorer Posts with special interests in larger cities. Medical posts are common and it may be close enough to her interests. I was a Girl Scout and Explorer and loved it. My boys were scouts and one of my sons was very involved and did a lot of things all over the country. There is a Boy Scout camp in the Florida Keys that has activities based on marine animals that he went to.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:55 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• theres one in mass right across from my house but i dont think its over night.its an aggy school. my daughter wants to go there also...hey mt ida college in newton mass i think there the only school in mass besides tufts that has vet.....i know they have a camp you might want to try them...
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 5:52 PM on Sep. 25, 2009