How can I get my 5 year old to understand I mean buissnes?

No matter what me and my husband do or say she will not mind. She purposly mocks us. We say no she does it anyways. She will get up in the middle of the night and do whatever she wants.We say hush she screams and cryies.She even makes her 3 year old sister do things to get what she wants so she dont ge into trouble. She will climb cabinets get knifves. Steal whatever she can from anywhere. She will come into our room while we are sleeping and take things. Im at the end of my rope. I have even talked to the doctor and nobody can tell me anything. Please help!

Mrs.Allen2009

Asked by Mrs.Allen2009 at 3:45 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Have you tried reasoning with her?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• you need supernanny!
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 4:04 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Rules. Children like rules. I used to teach and when you are in the room with a bunch of kids, having rules that everyone AGREES with is so helpful. Maybe sit down with her and get some poster board and art supplies and create a "Family Rules" poster together. Everyone can help. You can put things on there like "Mommy and Daddy always show respect to each other and the children" as well as "Children will listen the first time" or "No one yells in the house." Then EVERYONE has to comply, not just her. Children can feel empowered by the rules when they have input. That's just how i do it with my students!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Have you tried reasoning with her? SHE'S 5 How Prey-tell are you supposed to reason with a 5 year old

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Consequences and follow through. It may take a while but each time she misbehaves there has to be consequences. They have to be enough to effect her, to make her want to stop the behavior. Be the parent, be consistant and she'll get the message.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:29 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Might I suggest a lock on her door for night time? Put a hook lock on that you hook before you go to bed.

At least until whatever other alternative you decide on is in good full force working you dont need to worry about her getting out of her room during the night and causing trouble or ending up getting hurt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• U BUST THAT KIDS BUTT ! ! THERE NOTHEING WRONG WITH THAT ! !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• the old fasion way,one good butt wipin
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:36 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Gee, notice how the two posters who are advocating abusing the child cannot spell or use proper grammar & punctuation? There is something to be said for education.

OP: These are rather extreme behaviors for a 5 year old, so you are probably going to have to take extreme measures to address them. First, invest in a good lock for a knife drawer & keep all of the knives & scissors in it unless in use by you. It may be inconvenient, but she can't hurt anybody if she can't get to the sharp objects. Next, empty her room of everything except her mattress and a laundry basket of clothes (one wk's worth at a time). Put everything else in storage somewhere. Then set up a set schedule for her & stick to it (mean to the rest of you, but until you take back control, necessary). Also set up a reward/consequences system so that she has to earn everything back, 1 by 1, & lose same if needed - toys, treats, her room contents, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My son tells me all the time no and doesn't seem to care at ALL! I have tried giving him spankings and what does he do....HE LAUGHS at me! I have put soap in his mouth when he tells me no and he laughs at me! I have tried putting him in time out but it doesn't seem to work at all. The only thing that honestly works with my son is pinning him down on my lap and telling him WHY he can't do what he is doing. Then I wait till he calms down and make him look into my eyes and make him say it back to me.
    Is your daughter the oldest? Middle? I only ask because maybe she is trying to get more attention from you guys.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Sep. 26, 2009