If you've got your tubes tied, when did you do it?

I want to get my tubes tied, but not sure when is best time to do it. I know many women do it directly after delivery, but I want to be able to get around and stuff. So if you've done it after delivery how did it affect your abilities? Do you wish you would have waited until baby was older? Was it very painful afterwards? I just don't want to be restricted when my baby is first born. However, I will already be in hospital for three days so it might be better. I just don't know!

heartfrommyson

Asked by heartfrommyson at 4:26 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Mine were tied 4 months after birth - it was an outpatient surgery - had a band-aid on my belly button and a little tiny incision on my lower tummy. I was moving around that day - of course I was groggy and that kept me moving slow - but I wasn't put down for even a full 24 hours. The next day I was a little hung over from anesthesia and other than having a little pain at the tiny incision sites, I was fine. Just fine. I didn't have it right after birth because I had an emergency c-section and the baby was sick.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:32 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I had mine done right after my 4th baby...well actually it was 2 days later cause she was born on a sunday and the monday was a stat holiday so no anesthesiologist on duty. Even so it did not really affect my recovery much. I was more sore of course but only for a couple of days.
    Angelisa67

Answer by Angelisa67 at 4:34 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I had Essure done when I was like 6 or 7 months postpartum. I was out for the day of the procedure. The next day I was up doing what I needed to and had to since hubby was back at work. No issues or complaints. I had minor pain but I had pain meds. I only used them for the first week just due to the cramps.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 4:50 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I had a c-section done, so it was done then.. I was moving within 2 days ( once the all clear was given since I was having BP issues). I was recovered and walking normally within 4 days of delivery. My OB said I didn't even look like I'd had a baby...much less one by c-section.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 4:56 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Im another c/section mama so I had mine done 5 mins after my son came out of me. That was 20 mths ago.

No difference in pain management for me compared to my other 2 c/section recoveries. A little longer bleeding but that seemed to be my pattern LOL so I wouldnt say it was cuz of the tubal.

My routine didnt shift much cuz of the tubal, still had restrictions just like my other c/sections. Nothing more was added cuz of the tubal.

Honestly, if Im already open they might as well do it. Why have to go in and get a new set of scars by going the other way? I have friends who got it done after their babies were 6 wks. They had a little cramping but that was about it. Just no heavy lifting was all(I dont remember if there was anything else they mentioned tho).

If you are sure you are ready to do it, might as well do it then.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:20 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Mine was done the day after delivery. I dont' remember any pain or any other difficulty. Only irritation was the extra doctor's visit to make sure the stitches had heal properly.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 8:04 PM on Sep. 25, 2009