How can I get my 6 week old to sleep at night or is it too soon?

This is my husbands and I 1st child so we are just following our baby girl lead, But Now we are so sleep deprived. She fights her sleep at night, she just grunts and cries, and want to keep eating. What can we do?

Mrs2009

Asked by Mrs2009 at 4:29 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All three of my sons slept through the night when they were around 3 years old! My 12 month old grandson nurses several times at night.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:35 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• It's normal - and it's too early to expect her to sleep at night.. One question - are you having a lot of visitors or is she being held a LOT? That can make her sore and cranky - try no evening visitors, and try to keep her awake as much as possible through the evening. If you're bathing during the day - switch to evening and use the soothing baby wash - and feed her just before bedtime. I guess the point is to make the evening quiet time for all of you after her bath.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:35 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I have a five month old that doesn't sleep through the night yet. SHe fights until she finally passes out.
    She is however starting to self wein from waking up and eating she still wakes but only usually wants bottles twice a night.

Can you and hubby take turns getting up with her, so you can each get at least 4 five hours in a stretch?
    If you are home with her, try napping when she does.
    Are you nursing or formula feeding? Sometimes they may want just a LITTLE bit more than you think.
    ummmm, swaddling? That helped us for the first couple months.
    Paci?
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 4:35 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Heh heh heh....

Nobody told you this little feature, did they?

Baby is NORMAL. Newborns are eating pooping crying machines...nothing about sleep in the job description! Keep feeding her when she wants to eat.

You'll get to sleep a full night again...someday...

Answer by gdiamante at 4:37 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• like you said, follow her lead. when she acts cranky and tired, try putting her down in the room, and have it dark. it will help her sleep. she won't sleep through the night, it's too early for that, but if you put her down around the same time every night she'll get used to it and start going to sleep then. when my dd was 4 wks, i would lay her down at 8pm, the same time as my son. i'd let her FUSS for a couple minutes, then if she cried for longer than 1 minute, i'd go get her and lay her back down in about 15min to half hour, (repeat if needed). i did this until she became accustom to going to bed at 8pm. ( with my first i was just like you. thus, the first is a practice kid lol) she's 14 months now and has been going to bed at 8 every night. sleeping thru the night will be down the road though. i got both my kids to sleep through the night since 6 months, but each baby is different, as are the parents. (so are bedtimes)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• anon :40 here- yeah i agree with the pp also, take turns at night, it helps out ALOT. or you can do like, daddy gets one whole night, mommy gets the next whole night, ect. if you're BF, try to pump so daddy can help with the feedings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I think it's pretty normal. Mine didn't sleep through the night until 5 mos. It was the longest 5 mos. of my life esp. since I work full-time I was a freakin 'zombie. Beware of people who claim their babies were sleeping through at some ridiculously young age. They are usually lying!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• is she gassy? My DD fusses at night and I figured out its because she has gas, she wants to eat but spits up (because of the gas) so when she is very fussy I lay her on my chest while I'm sitting up and burp her for a while and she gets up the gas and passes right out til she is hungry again.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 8:40 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• (she wants to eat because of the gas... she thinks she is hungry)
    gottalovemal