Night Terrors?

Last night my 2yr old DS woke up crying a little and when I tried to comfort him he became hysterical he was swinging,kicking ,and the crying turned to screaming. I left him alone for a few minutes then tried to comfort him again this time he sat up crying for his Daddy still hysterical .When my DH tried to pick him up he did the same thing to him that he did to me. So we decided to let him go and stood there watching him.He got down from the bed ran into me, tried to push me then ran around me went to the bedroom door and swung at it a couple of times.Then he suddenly stopped turned around, calm as could be now and let me pick him up. He put his head on my shoulder and was back to sleep in 5 minutes. The whole time this was going on he looked wide awake. This is the second time this has happened in about 3 months. Could it be Night Terrors?

jrsmommy731

Asked by jrsmommy731 at 4:57 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Night Terrors or your house is haunted!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 5:01 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My son has has 3 similar episodes but he's screaming MOmmy help but you can't touch or console him or he freaks out more - I KNOW he's awake though and they last about 30-45 minutes.. My husband doesn't believe in ghosts but I do and he acts as if he's possesed -GL!! Next time I am video taping his episode and bringing it to the Ped and seeing what they think !
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:36 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My son did this. Around the age of four though. However, anywhere between I think 2 and 6 are the key ages for night terrors. He would have them at least once a week. He had a major change in his life that triggered it, however, that isn't always the case. Generally, night terrors will occur within 1-3 hours of falling asleep and can last anywhere from seconds to an hour. It is so scary as a parent. Don't approach him, just monitor and make sure he doesn't hurt himself. He isn't actually awake. He is in a weird phase between wake and sleep. If you can, video it and take it to you pediatrician. Most children will grow out of them in time.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2009