Is it ok to give mixed juice

To give mixed juice i.e. strawberry kiwi/ orange pineapple to my almost 11 month old? I give him apple and grape watered down now. I would water the other down too.

ajc0623

Asked by ajc0623 at 5:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yup.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I give my daughter Strawberry Banana
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Perfectly safe.
    If anything - if they're formula fed, it's a gentle laxative for them, because sometimes, formula can stop babies up, especially if you're chanigng formula, or they're just eating a little more than usual.
    I started giving my son half water/half juice mixtures as soon as he came home from NICU at around 4 months old - with an ok from pediatrician.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 5:11 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• The advice now is to avoid juice. If you give juice white grape is the least bad. Apple can cause digestive problems. I thing the no juice proponants would cringe at strawbery kiwi/orange pineapple for a baby under one. Even kids are supposed to limit juice to very small amounts.

If you give babies juice it is supposed to be only a couple of ounces a day. There are numerous problmes with juice. One is obesity. Kids drink hundreds of calories a day in juice and soda. Two teeth. Three digestion and diarrhea. Four juice messes up blood sugar and can make you more likely to have diabetes later in life. Five whole fruit is better for you.

A baby under 1 should have breastmilk or water. If not breastfed then formula.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:13 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Since others didn't seem to know about the hazards of juice I looked it up. The AAP offers no recommended amount of juice for babies under a year. For children 1-6 years intake should be limited to 4-6 ounces a day. It should not be given in bottles or sippy cups.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:19 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I would not give any child mixed juice or fruit. Really, not mixed anything else unless I knew for a fact they had been exposed to all of the ingredients before. If they the food had say4 ingredients and my child had been exposed to 3 with no issues then I might try it. Food allergies can be very difficult to track down if multiple new items are added to the diet at once.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• All things in moderation. I see no problem with it. Ide really water it down though.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:30 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• just water it down extremely well as long as they've been exposed to the fruits already. (like the strawberries bananas etc...) i like the V8 fruit juices b/c they have a serving of veggies in them too so its a good way to sneak that in. my son just went for his 4 month check up yesterday, the doc says its fine to start giving him juice (in moderation obviously) now, so i see no problem with giving the mixed juice at that age.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2009