parents potty training with underwear....

after your toddler kinda gets the hang of the potty, meaning he knows he's supposed to pee in the potty and not in his underwear, what are your consequences for going in his underwear, or like, say, on the couch?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You cant punish them or make them embarassed about it. Accidents DO happen espically with potty training. Just tell them it's ok get them cleaned up and re-tell them how important it is that they use the postty instead. Embarassing or punishing them only makes the accidents happen more.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• How old is yours? We didn't have a consequence for going in the underwear or on the couch. We figured he was going to have accidents and didn't want to punish for those. We would reinforce with words that he was to go to the potty to pee but didn't yell or anything like that. We started when he was two and he was trained before age three. Honestly I'm glad it was pee accidents he seemed to have and not the other.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:20 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• well it wasn't really an accident. i had asked him if he had to go potty and he told me no, and like 2 minutes later he peed on the couch. now, pooping in the potty isn't a problem. he tells me when he has to go, which is great cuz that's less poopy butts i have to clean (i have a 1 year old or i wouldn't be cleaning any poopy butts lol)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Agree with answers above...it is inevitable that accidents WILL happen on the couch or in the bed as sometimes they're having so much fun doing something they will forget to tell you and they'll end up peeing. Just nicely remind them where pee pee goes and reward them, do not punish or be negative when they have accidents as they may regress. How I reminded my dd was immediately after the accident take her to her potty if she didn't have to go that was ok, I'd do the same thing 20-30 min. later until she got the hang of it again.
    Orchid7

Answer by Orchid7 at 5:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• i figure though, there's a difference between oops i forgot and i dont feel like it, i'm peeing on the floor.....thats kinda how i differientiate. if i say 4 times go to the bathroom and SS pees in pants, i think thats a reason to be punished (he's 3 and he can go all alone). which it doesnt happen often but we're still having issues with #2......he plays in it and i get really upset about that.....its gross....so thats what i'm working on now.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Instead of offering until he really gets it, just take him every couple of hours. I wouldn't punish him. It is entirely possible he really didn't realize he had to go because he was playing so much or focused on something else. I often don't realize I have to go until it is almost too late, and I have been potty trained for 22 years. Now, if he has been trained (which is considered going all night with no diapers and no avoidable accidents for 30 days) for some period of time and is still not going, then you would need to consider some other approach maybe.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:56 PM on Sep. 25, 2009